1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very tiny egg, who laid it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shmccarthy, Aug 13, 2013.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Today I found a very cute, tiny egg in the run.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not quite sure who laid it though. My 5 EE hens are the only adults I have and they are all going through a moot right now, so I have been getting only 1 or 2 eggs every other day. I also have 2 EE pullets that are 23-24 weeks. Neither of them looked like they were ready to lay and I am not expecting them to until maybe 3 weeks or so from now. One girls comb is really red, but her pelvic bones were only about two fingers apart. I wonder who laid this egg? Maybe one of the girls molting? None the less, it's very cute and I don't want to really eat it. :)

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a fart egg from one of your EE's. They typically have no yolk, though I have had one before that had a yolk instead of the white. They are the whoopsie in the egg factory.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    What I do with my first eggs is blow them out - with a straight pin or map pin poke a small hole in each end. Stick a toothpick in one end and kinda break up the yoke - then with all your lung power, blow it out! Be careful not to squish the egg as you blow. (been there done that!) I am not sure who would have laid it, though.

4. goosygoosegoose

goosygoosegoose New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    Yep we've had those too. Ours usually have mostly white with only a small smear of yolk. We had a soft-shell also the other day, just out of the blue. Don't know what brought that on. The girl roam around the yard and get plenty of goodies and calcium. The "fart" eggs are cute though and I'm glad someone else also calls them that too!

5. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Chickens start laying as early as 20 weeks

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Did that for Easter. HARD work!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

8. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    That's pretty cool, I think I'm going to try that! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by