Very Tiny Muscovy Duckling....? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My girl Montie hatched her babies 1 week ago. Like always, i removed them and put them in the brooder after they were dry. I noticed that one of the babies was having some trouble with it's 'belly button' healing as quickly as it should so i have been keeping an eye on her. It finally healed all up a few days ago but she is still VERY small, like the size of a newly hatched duckling!

She's been living with all the newly hatching baby chicks because her siblings are getting bigger so i moved them to a different brooder. She seems healthy besides the very obvious size difference, but i am still wondering if i should continue to keep her bunked with the chicks and away from the other, fast growing ducklings.

she's a little speedy gonzales and is crazy adorable, Plus(!) she's Silver... I just wanna squeel everytime i look at her [​IMG] I just wanna know if anyone else has had a teeny Muscovy and they've done alright. I'd be beyond upset if i lost this tiny bundle of cuteness.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know the answer to your question, but she sounds adorable. Would love to see the pictures.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would leave her with her duck flock. I think she may be fine, especially since she is normal otherwise.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here's Eensie next to her clutch-mate Dotty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:Bleenie!
    I didnt squeal, but I think I squeaked a little.
    I love, love, love her and Dotty.
    The eensie bitsy ducky went up the water spout,

oh my, she is perfect.

Beth

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I did!

His name was "lil wayne" xD

He was still the size of a day old duckling at two weeks. Unfortunantly, my grandma's dog got into the enclosure and "played" with him [​IMG]

I wish you luck though! and I cant wait to see how this little one looks in the next few weeks!

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh my, that's a bunch of cuteness, Bleenie! I hope he grows up to be a "mini" Muscovy.

Sorry about your little one, Goat_Walker.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I let her go out for a swim with the other duckligns today (it was in the 90's) and she had a great time for a few minutes but then seemed to get cold really fast so I brought her back to the brooder with the new chicks and she seemed much more comfortable in there. I have been sure to keep at least 1 ducklings with her, so she knows shes a duck, but she did seem a little weirded out by the mass of ducklings in the play yard swimming and running around today, lol.

i think i'll just keep an eye on her with the chicks for a while longer, with as fast as the others are growing i would hate to wake up one morning to check on the babies and find her "at the bottom of the pile"... some of those others are quite the fatties.

9. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    So cute! [​IMG]

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    How coincidental. I just went through this and her face looks JUST like Ping's face.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=373120&p=1

Ping still is only half the size of his clutch-mates. I kept him indoors in the chick brooder for quite some time, because like yours he would start shivering after only minutes outside of it. I left him with 1 other duckling, and took that duckling out when my peachicks hatched, and gave those to him as playmates instead. He got special water and food and once he started actually eating the mash, he grew fastER, but not fast and not like he should have.

He was only allowed out from the heat lamped area when he was about 5-6 weeks, about the time when he first showed some big boy feathers in his tail and showed no interest in his previous permanent residence under the heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by