Very traumatized! Me, not the chicken.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Nov 13, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    After putting it off and putting it off, yesterday we decided to trim the upper beak on my crossbeak chick, Dragon. We decided to use the dog nail clippers as several people had recommended. The clippers have a guard on them to keep from cutting too much off at once. I held Dragon while DH cut.

Dragon didn't seem to mind the cutting at all, but a few seconds later the beak started bleeding, and then bleeding heavily. I set her back down in her brooder and within a few minutes the walls of the brooder (a clear rubbermaid tote) were streaked with blood. Usually calm during emergencies I started freaking. We tried everything to staunch the flow of blood - cornstarch, pressure, a styptic stick - nothing worked and the flow of blood got worse.

DH, who has decades of experience with chickens wanted to cauterize it but I didn't want to cause Dragon more pain. Without any choice I finally agreed. DH heated up a knife blade, I held Dragon while he did the cauterization. Dragon screamed, I screamed. [​IMG] Honestly, it was one of the worse experiences I've had since I started raising chickens.

Within 15 minutes Dragon was back to acting as if nothing had happened. My stepdaughter helped by cleaning up all the blood in the brooder. Hours later I would start crying again every time I thought about it.

Never again will I cut a chickens beak, NEVER. [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] OMGosh...I had my hand up over my mouth in horror just reading of your experience... Here's a few more [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] What an ordeal.... Don't you wish you could put it out of your head as easily as your little chicken did???...

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

So sorry!! That sounds terrible!! [​IMG]

What would have stopped the bleeding, is cayenne pepper. That stuff is powerful! It stops bleeding, and it can stop a heart attack in it's tracks.

I'm so so sorry. [​IMG] Poor Dragon.

BTW is he still alive?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You are much stronger than I!!!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I would have been the same way.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, Gritty, when you see how this will probably improve Dragon's quality of life it will all seem worthwhile. If/when it becomes necessary again, schedule a trip to town (that would look good by comparison) and let Keith and a helper do the job.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I told Keith that the next time it needs to be done he can have my stepdaughter help him; I'll go outside and hug a chicken.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    OMG I can imagine why your were so traumatized!! [​IMG] Glad Dragon is doing okay!!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The searing of the upper bill may even stop it from regrowing. [​IMG]

Well done, Keith.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by