Very Unhappy broody hen in a wire bottom cage...help please?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Aug 3, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a perpetually broody silkie (tho she's not my only perpetual brooder). I just purchased a wire bottom cage and she is in it. She is EXTREMELY unhappy. I even gave her scrambled eggs to try to appease her (and make myself feel less guilty). She is acting a bit violent in the cage, thrashing about and whatnot. Its the first time any of my chickens have had wire under their feet and I am worried about having her in there. I want to break her broodiness, but I can't stand for my chickens to be unhappy. What do you all suggest? Its a very big cage and I have it under cover, but its all wire.

I also have 2 other broodies sitting on some quail eggs in the closed portion of the wire cage. Her sister Silkiie and my cochin bantam. I have tried giving her eggs before, but she just wants to be broody, not actually set the eggs I've given her in the past.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    let her out or change the bottom, put a thin piece of ply wood over the wire, more roosts...good luck, sorry for the unhappy camper

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I just put another of my broodies in with her. Now they are BOTH very unhappy. I will try the plywood and roost bar.

4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The cage is made with very small wire, not chicken wire, and I can't fit a bar through for a roost. The plywood plank is small, as the door is very small and I can't fit anything else in there. I NEED to break them. The one has been broody FOREVER and won't quit and they are bogarting the nests so noone else can get in to lay. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! They are muy unhappy.

Will they eventually just chill and go to sleep?

5. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Misery loves company.[​IMG]

But I would definitely add the plywood right away.

[​IMG]

Edited after I read your last comment. Do you have some flexible vinyl flooring or even cardboard that you can piece together and tape with duct tape then put some shavings in?

Good luck.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    The plywood defeats the purpose of the wire cage. The point is to get their bellies some airflow. Leave em in there with nothing but wire to sit on (or a roost), the more unhappy they are maybe the quicker they'll break.

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ok, I used some roofing shingles and they cover over hhalf of the wire bottom, but Broody #2, and Austrolorpe, is still having a fit. Not enough to injure herself, but very unhappy nonetheless. She is sqwalking to beat the band. Should I take her out or try to wait it out?

8. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The silkie has resigned herself to her fate, but Austrolorpe Henwyn is not so inclined to chill out.

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Take it out, let them sit on wire. Just went through this with my 3 broody girls. Took about 5 days including twice a day dunking in a cold bucket of wire, before they broke. Yes, they are unhappy, they want to get back to their nest/eggs. Put food and water dishes in there and leave them alone until they are no longer clucking and broody.

10. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I have a silkie that seems to be broodie 20 days of every month. What the heck? I let her be. She is always crabby:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by