Very Unique Rooster. What is it????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peeperpiper, Jun 29, 2010.

1. peeperpiper

peeperpiper New Egg

Feb 19, 2009
    My husband and I just picked this guy up at a local auction ( he came with a hen we wanted ) and we have no idea what he is. He looks like an OEG but his feathers are obviously not right. I expect he normally has a really nice long tail but he was in the box with another rooster and got beat up pretty good. So what do you think ? Is he a silkie cross?? I would expect black skin or something if he was. Any other suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    He is silkie-feathered. Various breeds carry the genetics to have the silkie like feathers and they don't necessarily have to show all the signs of the Silkie heritage. I'm not sure what your guy is, some sort of bantam though it looks like? Perhaps a Serama cross.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  3. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

With the way he stands and his tail I would almost say he is a black tail jap cross.

4. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkie feathered Jap X Serama ??

5. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Silkie-Feathered Serama/Jap/Other Breed cross. Looks like Gray mixed with BT White.

6. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Japanese Bantam X Angorra Rabbit! Very cool....

7. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Whatever he turns out to be, he's just lovely!

8. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I don't know if he has silkie blood, but I think he is worth keeping for breeding! He is fantastic looking!

9. La Unica Farms

La Unica Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    backswamp NC
    I actually really like this guy too. My husband thinks he is the ugliest looking bird on the whole farm which really says a lot!! We have a recently acquired Partridge Frizzled Cochin who has no feathers from her neck up. Her head and neck are completely bald. To me, she is the ugliest bird by far ( I call her Cruella de Vil ). I would actually like to hang onto this Rooster and breed him to some OEG hens maybe and just see what we get. Right now he is just running around the yard and we have him listed locally for sale. I seriously doubt we will sell him. We haven't exactly had anyone busting our door down to buy him!! [​IMG]

10. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    I have no idea what the x is, but I think he is really cute![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by