Very Unsettled New Runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by goldchickenkat, Aug 2, 2014.

1. goldchickenkat

goldchickenkat New Egg

Jul 21, 2014
    We took in three 13 week old runner ducks this week and I am a bit concerned. They haven't eaten since they arrived, have spent the last 3 days hiding in a corner of the shed or behind the blackcurrant bushes in the garden and are absolutely sodden - not like ducks normally would be in the rain. We can't go near them without the three of them freaking out. Of course they have access to water, food and a paddling pool, but will go near none of them.

They are in the same area as the chickens (a 1/2 acre walled garden), but have a shed all to themselves and the chooks have no interest in them.

I know that it takes time for them to settle in and that they are naturally nervous birds, but this is getting to a point where I am wondering if I should be doing something different. I can put them in another barn where they are completely isolated, but I'm not sure if that's the best plan of action.

Any of you experienced duck owners have any advice for a newbie?

thanks!

2. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Your ducks might need a bit of time to get used too their new world, You also might want too come out on the yard a lot so they would be used too you coming outside and not hurting them, they need to trust you to not hurt them. Sitting with them or just crouching down so they see you, They won't be able to fly out of the yard if your free-ranging them.

I hope that helps. Ducks are very gentle and skittish creatures, just make sure that you give them enough time to earn your trust.

farm316

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by