Very unwell Silkie

chookchookme

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Hello everyone.
I have a white Bantam Silkie Hen who was looking unwell a few weeks back but then perked up again. At the beginning of this week she went down again, I took her to the vet who looked her over and suggested coccidiosis and gave me a course of antibiotics. I began treating her five day course but on day three she had got considerably worse rather than better - she had and HAS now lost the ability to stand or walk. Upon realising this I really have her a good looking over and found she was crawling with tiny tiny white lice - the vet had missed this. I immediately diatom'd her the only other thing I had to hand was advocate Cat spot on treatment as it was late at night... As she was so bad I took the punt and gave it to her.
Today is the day after this horrid find and she is much perkier, I have seen no live mites on her, have bathed her and been using a syringe to give her water. She has eaten a small amount of mealworms and layers meal on her own. She is definitely brighter and she seems aware and quick moving with her head but she still cannot walk, she sometimes tries and flips herself over/topples over when she's sitting.
Is this something that she can recover from or am I putting her through unnecessary misery? Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you!

Poor thing! It sounds like you figured out what was wrong and now she's getting better, but it will take a while. She is probably anemic after all that and will need some TLC... give her vitamins, electrolytes, extra proteins, and maybe a probiotics like kefir, plus a day or two of bed-rest. (Nest-rest?) I hope she continues to improve.

I would suggest giving her Vitamin B and selenium...try giving her some tuna fish, scrambled egg....it sounds as if she may have wry neck...look up wry neck symptoms...your Vet needs some glasses!!!!

Poor thing! It sounds like you figured out what was wrong and now she's getting better, but it will take a while. She is probably anemic after all that and will need some TLC... give her vitamins, electrolytes, extra proteins, and maybe a probiotics like kefir, plus a day or two of bed-rest. (Nest-rest?) I hope she continues to improve.

Thanks so much I'll start now. I just hope she gets her appetite back soon to regain strength. She is also breathing rather heavily, no rattling, coughing wheezing... Just with her mouth open? Can anaemia affect respiration/intake of oxygen?

You are in the UK...so do you have any marmite in the house? If so.,,try giving her some...I realise it is midnight but anything you can offer her now...i.e. eggs and marmite can help her by giving extra vitamins it would be good for her...

You are in the UK...so do you have any marmite in the house? If so.,,try giving her some...I realise it is midnight but anything you can offer her now...i.e. eggs and marmite can help her by giving extra vitamins it would be good for her... 

Thanks so much for your help. I've offered her up some scrambled eggs! I don't have marmite in the house unfortunately. I'll grab some tomorrow. I fear she's not going to make it as her breathing has become laboured... This is the downside to chickens and I worry and get sad every single time!

I know that feeling ...but anything is worth a try right now...where there is life there is hope...
fl.gif
Silkie's are quite resilient...

Hoping she makes it through..for both of you!

Get yourself some sleep...tomorrow is another day and she may show some improvement...

Keep us informed on how things go...
hugs.gif

OK so I did not know you had offered her fluid through a syringe...she may have ingested some into her lungs...it is very difficult as the water needs to go beyond a point or it may get into the lungs...you have done all you can do for now...I suggest you leave her and see if she survives until the morning...sadly a blackened comb does not look good for her survival...my heart goes out to you!

Back
Top Bottom