Very upset due to most of my hens killed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lisa920, Oct 11, 2016.

1. lisa920

lisa920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    I'm so upset that 4 of my 6 hens and two roosters were killed today by a dog that got loose in the neighborhood [​IMG] I have two hens left from my flock of 8 [​IMG]
    Now I'm worried about the two that survived and don't know what to expect. One of the survivors is a buff Orpington that was always with another buff which was killed, they were the lowest of the pecking order. Now it's one buff and one barred rock hen that don't particularly like each other.
    I'm worried they won't lay now and do chickens grieve? I sure am [​IMG]
    Any advice or thoughts?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes some chickens do grieve over losing their friends, others are traumatized if they witnessed the attack. Either case, can put them off laying until they feel safe again. Please check out the "predator threads," to find out how to prevent it from happening again. Whatever predator killed your birds - will be back to get the rest of them. You need to secure your coop and run. If they were free ranging, keep them locked in a run. If the predator killed your birds but, didn't eat or take any with them - it could be a dog attack. They love the excitement of chasing frantic birds.

3. lisa920

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    It was a dog attack, pit bull to be exact. It was taken by the local dog warden. It ripped through my pen and I have repaired it. I had never seen that particular dog around. I feel so bad for the two remaining hens.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So sorry! I hope that you are rebuilding your coop and run so it never happens again, because other dogs may show up another day. If an owner is located, he's responsible for all damages. Mary

5. lisa920

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    Yes I am actually in the process of building a new coop and run. The owner was notified and says he will replace my birds, still won't be the same. You get to know your flock so well. He will be in court. The dog also caused minor injuries to my dog and caused a couple of abrasions on my daughters boyfriend while he was trying to catch him.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Is there a leash law there? around here a dog cannot be off leash iif it is off the owners property--but the fine is so puny and its so rarely enforced that everyone flouts it. bugs the crap out of me. and i agree that "replacing the birds" is a weak consolation.

keep in mind as you do upgrade your coop, in case something random like this were to happen again, that big dogs can actually tear through chickenwire netting in many cases if they are determined. hardware cloth, or some hog fencing or something reinforcing parts as necessary may be worth the extra effort for the peace of mind...

1 person likes this.
  7. lisa920

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    There aren't leash laws here but there are concerning killing chickens and biting people. I do have different fencing for the new run. I will be placing hardware cloth around the lower portion of the fence. I'm thankful my young grandchildren weren't outside when this happened. I just hope the two remaining hens do ok.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is awful....I believe the two remaining birds will be way too stressed to lay eggs for a couple of weeks..They will pair up being the pecking order has changed...Chickens do sort of mourn lost flock members, but not the way people do...A flock has a set structure and everyone knows their place....Keep them confined and they will feel safe again in a week or so?
    Good to here they will replace your Birds..I know it wont be the same...

Best of luck!

Cheers!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like you've handled the situation as well as you possibly can.
    Your birds will be in shock for a while but they will most likely be just fine....
    .....check them over really well for any wounds, especially puncture wounds, and give them time.

10. jillwag1

jillwag1 New Egg

May 28, 2015
    Corona, Ca.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by