Very upset female Mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Erind, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Erind

Erind New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Newport, OR
    My partner and I got three ducks back in April, all female, two runners and a mallard. Since then we lost one runner to a coon and the other was seriously injured, I managed to nurse her back to life only to have a coyote take off with her [​IMG] . Since then our mallard has been so upset with me, not sure what her deal is but I think she thinks I have her friends. Every time she sees me she drops her head down, runs at me and quacks super defensively. She is at my heels every time I turn around. She has been getting along okay with our chickens (we lost one to a hawk, the past couple of months have been rough) they bullied her a little but she gets nervous and super upset when they are out of her sight, and very angry at me when I am around them. I have been thinking about getting a drake but I am not sure if that will make her even more defensive, I want her to be a happy duck. Maybe I need to spend more time with her, get her to trust me again...Any advice or tips would be much appreciated [​IMG] Thanks!

As far as the predators go we trapped a couple coons and relocated them, I shot the coyote with a pellet gun and he hasn't been back since, and I put up an owl decoy for the hawks. Hopefully it helps, I don't like loosing my kids [​IMG]

2. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    She needs a duckie friend, for sure. If you might lose one duck to predators, get her two or three. If you lose one of them, replace it, so she's not alone. Ducks are highly social with their own species and really don't do well without friends. If you get a drake, don't get more than one drake and any others ought to be females, so you don't have two or more drakes competing for the girls and over breeding them. Poor girl sounds pretty upset. So sorry she (and you) lost her friends!

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Sounds like you might need to try to make their overnight housing a little more secure before getting another duck. But I would definitely get her a friend. If it were me making the decision, I'd either get another hen and a drake or just another hen. IMO that might work out the best for everyone.
    Sorry for your losses.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    She needs a mate

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Yes get a drake and i would not reccomend relocating coons...it spreads diseases and causes territorial disputes ect....nothing good comes out of it your better off shooting it with your pellet gun or just dropping the trap in a pond and walking away for a while.

6. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Easy solution - more ducks!

I also warn that you should check the proper drake / duck ratio. I have had to order more ducks because drakes are so randy.

7. didak

didak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    I have the same problem, I am just thinking now with your first reply that could be the same with my drake. He used to be so friendly but now I cant even go near him, he puts his head down, fluffs his wings up and when he gets hold of you, he wont let go. He did have a chicken friend but she died and it was since then that the problem started so I will get him another friend (a male) because if you get a male to be her partner and the female lays eggs, she will get more defensive and when they hatch worse again, she wont let you near her.
    I used to have a drake who was in love with these two particular chickens and he used to give all the other chickens a hard time, I had to give him away as he was out of control, so I guess they do like partners, it doesnt matter who it is.

Good luck

8. Erind

Erind New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Newport, OR
    Thank you all for the advice. I have been definitely making their house more secure, the coyote hit them in the morning right after I let them out, scared the crap out of us. I think I will get her a drake and a hen, I owe her two friends [​IMG]

9. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Sounds like a very good plan. [​IMG]

10. Erind

Erind New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Newport, OR
    So I got my female a drake, he seems petrified and so does she [​IMG]. But I think they will get along nicely after a little while [​IMG] Poor kiddo was so dirty when I picked him up, he's having a nice bath right now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by