1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very urgent advice needed!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abigail200, Mar 14, 2016.

1. abigail200

abigail200 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    South Africa
    [​IMG] Hello everyone, my mom and I need some urgent help with a chick who is stuck in its egg, I went to my chicken with a total of 25 eggs and 14 already hatched, she laid her eggs in a horrible place and 3 babies were stepped on but we have moved them all since and no one has died since but we have a late hatcher who has piped but is stuck
    in the egg. We did not intervene untill its outer membrane was drying out. We have followed steps on many articles and have been dampening it with warm cloths. Hours later he is not coming out. I need advice I'm aware he could be deformed and if he is we will cull him. I inserted a picture of him but we don't know what to do now. Keep in mind this is our first hatch. My mom and I are doing what we can and have read but we are not sure what to do next as it's already 9 pm and we are tired. I will gladly truck through the night for this little chick if I have to!! This was a natural birth not in an incubator.
    Please give us lots of advice!!

2. abigail200

abigail200 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    South Africa
    Hi everyone it's me again he has broken free and all seems to be going well. Sorry for spelling errors before I was very stressed but I feel a lot better now. :D

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

Glad to hear it worked out well for the little one! No worries about the spelling errors, it happens to all of at some thyme (LOL).

Thanks for joining us and congrats on the new chicks!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have a brooder for him, so he will stay warm?

5. abigail200

abigail200 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    South Africa
    Sadly not but my mom and I have been keeping him warm with a hot water bottle (on a towel of course) or holding him. I was doing that all night and only got to bed at 4am. He is alright though and looking healthy!

6. abigail200

abigail200 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    South Africa
    [​IMG] This is him now, but there is another egg.. same issue. How can I make an incubator? I live in South Africa and the shops aren't close. There are still 5 more eggs and the mom doesn't really care anymore. And for anyone who was wondering how the siblings look.. yes there are 3 turkens![​IMG] This picture doesn't have all 11 chicks and number twelve with me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  7. abigail200

abigail200 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    South Africa
    Thank you!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] glad the chick was ok!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) Glad your chick is doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by