Very urgent-- Banty having trouble breathing, enlarged crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tazwell, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Tazwell

Tazwell New Egg

Jun 23, 2007
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi,

I don't know much about chicken health. But our Bantam rooster is about 5 years old, and he hasn't been crowing as much in the mornings lately. He lives in our house.

I noticed yesterday when I went into his room that he looked a little paler than he normally would, but that was about it. He seemed to be acting as normal.

A little while ago, I went into his room, where my foster dog is staying as well, and they fought and played a little bit through the bars of the crate. Like usual. I noticed that his crop looked a little big, and he was doing a little head bob/choking sort of motion-- just a little one, not enough to alarm me, especially because he just drank water.

Then my Mom ran upstairs to me a few minutes ago, and said "My bird is dying!" and she thought he had a tumor, but it was his enlarged crop. It's very firm, as if he just ate a ton, but it feels like there's a little air at the top. He was having quite a bit of trouble breathing...

So she took him to the vet. I know this isn't a vet that's known for it's bird treatment, so I was wondering if anybody had any quick suggestions or advice as to what it may be...

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    No clue, sorry, glad he's going to the vet. I'm getting this back to the top for someone who knows to answer!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

So sorry to hear about your little Roo. Im no expert, but sounds like an impacted crop!?? Im glad your mom took him to the vet....Im sure you will need to take away all feed, for at least 24 hrs...and then start back with wet feeds...for a few days. I sure hope he recovers! Keep us posted, please!

4. Aun <HIS><

Aun <HIS>< Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How did it go at the vets? How's your roo?

Aundrea

5. Tazwell

Tazwell New Egg

Jun 23, 2007
    S.E. Michigan
    Well, I guess my Mom didn't take him into the vet (It was emergency-- very expensive anyway) because when she got there, he was fine. I was upset when she told me this, because obviously there was a problem at some point...

Anyway, She claims that she didn't feed him last night, or this morning, and his crop is still very large. So I'm thinking impacted crop at this point. But there's really nothing in his cage other than food, water and corn cob bedding, which he doesn't eat...

So I guess tomorrow morning, he gets to go to his normal vet. No food for him tonight.

Are there any ways to home remedy an impacted crop (without the home surgery I saw stickied [​IMG] )?

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I'm so sorry that your roo isn't feeling well. What kind of food have you been feeding your roo? Do you have a supply of grit to offer him? Maybe some mineral oil mixed with grit might help him pass whatever it is he has eaten.

Please keep us posted on his progress. I hope your roo is feeling better soon.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  7. Tazwell

Tazwell New Egg

Jun 23, 2007
    S.E. Michigan
    He eats Dumor Layer feed. He gets some gravel, too, designed for pet birds like parrots...

Come to think of it, should I be feeding him something better, or different?

Thank you for all your help, every one [​IMG]

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    only laying birds should get layer rations (not roos!)...there is simply too much calcium in it which will cause gout and kidney problems...offer a bowl of grower in addition to the layer (in separate feeder)... he will choose that (if not immediately eventually).
    Add a few drops of ACV (apple cider vinegar) to the waterer...ensure you do not give any scratch grains or such while the crop issues are there.
    Try massaging the crop to break up any impaction...if it feels soft and gasy then your bird may have yeast/candida and this will recquire a med such as Nystatin (you will need a vet prescribe)
    Impacted/sour crop is a VERY serious issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by