Very, VERY loud Button Quail! Help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GretasFlock, Feb 11, 2014.

1. GretasFlock

GretasFlock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Hello!

I am having my ears blown out by my Button quail roo. He lives in a large cage with his button hen mate and a parakeet. (Her mate died and she is a bit less lonely with the quail around.) But he crows NONSTOP! And it's SO loud. A series of about six screeches, every thirty seconds to five minutes. Do you guys have any clue why he would do this? I researched before I bought them, and apparently they're supposed to be quiet birds! D:

Thanks!

2. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Kill it.. solves that quick.. other than that... he aint happy about something.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    So if he is calling to the female she will answer and that might be what you are hearing not just the male but the female too. It is the time of year, almost spring, for them to set up house! They will call to mark their territory and to find a mate as well and sometimes it seems to go on forever. Normally they are quite birds but he must feel the need to call maybe he is being territorial with the parakeet? You could try separating them and just put the parakeet in a cage next to them. just an idea. I hope this helps a bit and if they really get annoying you can try limiting the hours of natural light they get to see if he goes back into winter mood?! good luck!

4. GretasFlock

Mar 21, 2013
    I'll try separating them. He does seem to be looking up at the parakeet when he's calling.

5. GretasFlock

Mar 21, 2013
    A few days after my last post he attacked the parakeet. Luckily, both birds are fine, but I separated the quail from the parakeet, and once the weather was warm enough, put them both outside. Things have been fine since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by