1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

very very sick Pekin duckling EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shalva, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Shalva

Shalva Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have a very sick 4 mos. old pekin hen. I took her to the vet today who took two xrays, she sounds a bit raspy when she breathes the xray showed her lungs were fine but her gastrointestinal tract was obvious and fluid filled. The vet put her on sulfatrim. I am giving her that (she has had two doses) as well as honey to get her blood sugar up and syringing her water.

I am reading that terramycin is better than the sulfatrin but she is not eating or drinking on her own. I am not sure what I can feed her that will give her some energy or how much is a reasonable amount to force feed her... she is just 4 pounds.

I would really appreciate any help you all might be able to offer. The vet did not think she would make it but I have to give her the best shot that I can.... thank you so much .... you can see how poorly she is ... she is sleeping here

[​IMG]

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hello,

I am sorry for your duck as well as you yourself. I hope she bounces back to her 'old' self, soon and with no long lasting effects.
    I just wanted to say that you may also want to copy your thread to the 'emergencies/diseases/injuries/cures thread, you just might get some other hits using 'double' coverage...
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you both.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I responded over on the emergencies forum, with a link to a post about tube feeding.

Also hoping @casportpony can check in soon.

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is your duck? I hope she is feeling much better today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by