VERY Vocal Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mboreham1, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    My chickens have become very vocal recently, i do not have a rooster just 3 RIR's and 1 Mille Fleur bantam. It seems like they make a crazy amount of noise when they want to come out of the coop. Like yesterday, it was raining crazy so i put them in their coop just really because i didnt want them tearing up the yard more than they normally do. they just stood at the door skwaking like i had murdered someone!

Do they skwawk when they want something? are they just beligerant? I have heard people on here claiming that their chickens "talk" i am wondering if others have stupigly loud chickens with no apparent reason? Can i stop them being noisy? Are they like dogs inasmuch that if you give them what they want when they are misbehaving it reinforces the "bad" behaviour?

Help, i dont want to annoy the neighbours!

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Ever hear that expression - "nagging old hen"? That's what you have [​IMG] They want what they want and their little chicken brains won't take no for an answer!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are they laying yet?

If it's a sound like cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck BAGGAAAWWWWWWKKKK then that is the egg song.

4. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    My girls are very vocal also.They start as soon as they see me coming across the yard. I think they are saying TREATS!!!! YAHOO!!!!
    I find if you give them what they want no one gets hurt.[​IMG]

5. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Mine also get VERY vocal when they see me......it's like "treats on feets".
    I get no respect from them ! LOL
    It's ok, I love their talking !
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

6. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:Hi neighbour. You don't have any roos your looking to get rid of do ya?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    As soon as I walk through the back gate, they start squawking... once I feed them treats, they quiet down. It's a daily rite of passage.

8. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Mine do that too. They know what our cars sound like and they start bumrushing the run door and making a racket. Stresses us out a bit since we are trying to keep it on the down low!

9. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    I guess they must have phenomenal hearing, they must hear my kitchen door because by the time i reach their food in the garage before i open the back door - skwawk, bwawk, cluck, cluck, cluck. They are about 6 months old, been laying for about 6 weeks now and they lay VERY well, 6-7 each per week, even in the winter!

My main concern is that they make that noise all day while i am at work! I do normally give them some dropped fruit, scratch and let them out but they are not happy campers when i put them in while i work. I am sure i will hear from the animal control if they make that racket all day!

1 person likes this.
  10. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine make a ruckus EVERY time they see me. Even if they have everything they want/need, even if I am far, far away AND they recognize my car! I don't think there is any way to stop them. lol

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by