Very weak and dirty chick. What to do??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MakNat, Oct 16, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    One of my abandonded eggs did hatch, slowly and by the hardest, but the little guy is SO weak and has all the gunk crusted & dried on him. Any advice???

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:when did he hatch? if it is for more than one day then you might be able to wipe him very slowly and gentel.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    if its that hard crusted inner membrane, I give a warm bath, completely submersed except the head and gently swish back and forth. After a minute or so, you can usually gently wipe or peel off the rehydrated membrane. Dry gently with a towel by blotting then place back under brooder light or in incubator to dry. Some use a hair dryer, but i'm always afraid of burning them.

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Someone once reported they accidently fried the chick with the hair dryer so I'd avoid that. It's just too hot and scary.

My last hatch I had one get stuck in the egg and helped her out. She was gunky and wobbly the first 2 days or so. I separated her from the other chicks and put one docile chick in with her for company. I did quick little sessions with her with a warm wet qtip and a gentle warm wet toothbrush and gently took off layers mostly with water. In a few days her down had lengthened enough that she could get around well and by a week old most of the gunk was off
    she had bald patches even but they eventually filled in. She is completely normal and healthy now. Cant tell she started out that way from looking at her.

Good luck with yours.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by