1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Very weak chick HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorsebackBrony, Jul 30, 2014.

1. HorsebackBrony

HorsebackBrony In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    My four baby chicks from mypetchicken.com have arrived! Yay! Three of them are doing great, but my barred rock is very weak. She feels warm enough and theres no pasty butt issues, but she can't stand and won't eat. She will drink if I hold him up to the water. What can I do to help her? Occasionally she will open her beak when shes not drinking and peep. I've heard sugar water can help; should i try some? Im woried it might be issues with her leg, considering sh cant stand and her legs feel weak. Se just kind of lays on her side.

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd give her some sugar or honey water quick! Keep her WARM! Does she look like she has splay leg? I'd also try giving her a mash of boiled egg, chick starter and yogurt.
    If she won't eat on her own then try force feeding!
    http://beautyofbirds.com/handfeedingmethods.html

3. HorsebackBrony

Jul 15, 2014
    I gave her some sugar water and she drank it. Waiting to see if hat helps. Im not an expert on splayed leg but herlegs are nder her, not out to the side, but they do feel very week, so its possible. Right now shes sleeping under the heat lamp

4. mightymax

mightymax Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I would continue with the above suggestions, most definately! I'd also add some electrolytes to all their water if you can. It will help get their fluids in check if they're dehydrated, which most chicks are when they arrive through the mail. Not to be insensitive or anything, but you might want to give MyPetChicken a call and let them know what's going on. Most hatcheries will give a replacement for a dead chick, not necessarily a 'potentially' dead one though, but it might help to keep them in the loop. Sorry you're having to go through this experience!!!

5. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    x2! I'd give MyPetChicken a call.

6. HorsebackBrony

Jul 15, 2014
    We called, they suggested sugar water.I gave her some, and she is doing a little better. I looked a her more closely and realized she did have splayed leg, so we treated her for that and now she can sit normally instead of laying sideways/

7. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yay! Hope she gets better soon!

8. HorsebackBrony

Jul 15, 2014
    I hope she improves as well. Not quite sure what to do though: She can't move. I can watch her now but I do need to sleep. Should I put her under the heat lamp or by her food/water?

9. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
  10. HorsebackBrony

Jul 15, 2014
    More or less. I also notice shes drooling a lot. Is this normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: