very weak day-old duckling, please help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wornoutmomto3, Nov 10, 2014.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    My incubator ducklings started hatching a couple days ago. The first one fully hatched about 36 hours ago the second one about 12 hours after that, with a couple more still working on the hatch. I am concerned about the first one. The egg became discolored, around the air sack, during lock down. I thought the duckling inside had died but I didn't want to open up the incubator during lock down to remove it. Turns out it was the first to hatch. However, it is very small and weak. Even now it won't toddle around. It just wants to curl up like it is still in the shell and sleep. If it gets bumped onto its back it kicks for a bit then just lays there. I am afraid the chick is too weak to survive. Does it have a chance? What can I do to help?

This is only my second duck hatch and I haven't had an egg become discolored before. Is that normal? I have a second egg that is starting to become discolored with this hatch as well.

Quick note: lock down started Wednesday of last week with hatch day set for Friday. These ducks are running a bit late, but this happened last time as well. 28 day incubation but didn't hatch until day 30 or so.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    It most certainly has a chance , is it dried off yet , if not be sure it has a heat source, dont let it fall on its back and when it does help it up lightly, it can die if it lays on its back too long.

Mine usually take a bit over the due date as well.

Mine have always turned dark when its close to hatch, usually it means that the duckling has filled the whole shell.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  3. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    It is already dry and fluffed out. I had to wash it a bit. Some of the fluff was very sticky after hatch. It is also in the brooder with its sibling.
    I hope the discoloration is ok. It is just a bit worrisome because the shell didn't total go dark. It looked more like a bruise around the air cell. I'll take a pick of the other egg so you can see what I mean.

4. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    This one is still trying to hatch.

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    It might be out of air

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you Poultry Nutri Drench you can take a dropper and give it straight into the bill, not down the throat just right inside the bill. It's great stuff to get them on a good start. Hope the lil one pulls through.

7. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't have any Poultry Nutri-Drench. Does Tractor supply carry it? I live in the middle of the country so my options are pretty limited. Vets here won't even look twice at a sick chicken or duck.
    I have been keeping a close watch over the little one, and they seem to be getting stronger. Still wants to sleep a lot, but has shown interest in eating and drink. Baby steps. [​IMG]

8. jaymeellis06

jaymeellis06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Florahome, Florida
    Tractor supply has nutri drench.

9. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I pipped the second discolored egg. The duckling was hammering away with its egg tooth and getting no where. The discoloration, at least on this egg, seems to have been cause by a blood clot. Could it have been caused by the duckling when it turned to get into position for hatching? Either way the duckling is doing good right now but may need some gentle assistance hatching. I am concerned that the blood clot could pose a hazard to a successful hatch. I will keep an eye on it and step in if the need arises.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Get some to keep on hand it's amazing stuff. Glad to hear progress is being made, it's hard work hatching hopefully you'll see real progress today. When i have duckling/chicks or goslings hatch they get nutri drench in their water everyday first week. Really helps to give them a good start.
    Keep us updated and hopefully by now you are seeing a new duckling. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by