Very weak shipped chicks

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
of 25 shipped 12 arrived alive, 4 have passed, 4 are weak and not drinking on their own. Besides keeping them warm and periodically dipping their beaks in sweetened water is there anything else I should be doing?

If you don't have any vitamins and electrolytes to put in the water, sugar water is good. Maybe on the weak ones you could give them the water in a syringe every 2 hours. I have had to force feed mine before but it did wonders. You can also make a soup out of the feed and sugar water and feed this to them. Good luck with those babies and I'm so sorry for the loss of the rest of them.

I know this isn't really your point, but i'm very curious....do you still have to pay for all 25? It sounds like they must've been shipped by very unhealthy conditions. After i saved some lives, i would be telling off someone somewhere.

Just curious.

Hope the rest come out o.k. I'm so sorry for you for this.

Beth

Yes i agree put viamins and elctroyts in there water.I do this all the time with sick chicks,make some scrambled eggs and chop them up finly the chicks will love it.good luck
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

i'd hold off on the feeding untill they're hydrated. pedialite can be had at any grocery store. stop by a vet's office for a small syringe. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom