1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very weird egg, any ideas on causes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cora2222, Feb 29, 2016.

1. cora2222

cora2222 New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Just found this egg tonight, was still warm at 6:30 pm when I was closing the coop up for the night. That's odd in itself but its got a partial shell/very thin shell and that sort of "unfinished" end. She is young, started laying in October, but she's been pretty consistently laying every other day ever since. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Increase available calcium sources? Any help would be great! Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It looks like a blip in her laying apparatus, a shell-less or soft shell egg with a membrane attached. Provide some extra calcium, such as crushed egg shells or crushed oyster shell. Hopefully it is just a one time thing.

3. MaisyBird

MaisyBird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    I agree. My chickens have laid many eggs without or with little shells. When this happens I know to put some oyster or crushed egg shells on with their food.(you probably want to crush the egg shells into small pieces so the chickens don't recognize the egg and start pecking their own!)

4. cora2222

cora2222 New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the information. They've got calcium grit available but I guess it's time to break out the oyster shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by