1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

VERY weird egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NorTracNY, Sep 12, 2008.

1. NorTracNY

NorTracNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Macedon, NY
    OK, I know I should have taken a picture, but it's too late now and I wasn't thinking at the time. My golden comets just have recently started to lay. I have gotten maybe 10 eggs so far. They free range most of the time, the rest they are in a tractor.
    Yesterday I went out and found two eggs in the nest. As I walked back to the house there was something laying in the lawn. As I went to pick it up I realized it was a strange mutilated egg. It looked like an elongated brown egg with white stucco at the pointed end. Wrapped around most of the rest of the egg looked like thin brown rice paper. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture. Does anyone know what happened? I haven't found any other eggs outside the nest and they all have looked normal.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It happens. Raise chickens long enough and you'll see lots of weird things. But they are not really all that weird - just glitches at the egg factory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by