Very weird eggs..........what would cause this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dmdhart, Sep 11, 2010.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    A friend of mine told me that he had purchased some "fresh" eggs from a gentleman at the local flea market. When he went to cook them, he said that some of them would not come out of the shell when he went to crack them. What on earth would cause this? He said it was as though glue was mixed in with them. Yet they did not smell rotten. I told him I would post this to the forum and knew that I could get some great insite.

2. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes fresh eggs have an outer hard shell. I'm not sure if thats it but tell him to run them over warm(not hot) water then try to crack them.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    maybe he stored them too cold and they were jelled up a bit? I don't think I have ever heard of that before.....

[​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:That was my initial reaction as well...they sound frozen or slushy from over refridgeration.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It would help to have pics.

6. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    Sorry, no pictures. He has long since thrown them out. I'm thinking though that they probably had frozen or were near frozen. That does seem to make sense. I've talked with him since the last post and he told me that when he purchased them, it was last winter at a flea market and the eggs were kept in a cooler. My guess is that they did freeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by