Very weird finding in my yard this morning!

goldensunriseranch

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Mays Landing NJ
Well last night around 2:30am I smelled skunk very stronly and sent the hubby out to check everyone, he was thrilled to say the least. He came back smelling like skunk just from it being in the air but said all was well. Our german shepherd wasn't sprayed and everyone was accounted for. This morning I walked out to the barn and found the entire tail of a red fox next to the barn! I guess my shepherd was on double duty last night and scared away both the skunk and the red fox, and the fox was apparently given a good reason not to come back. I kind of feel sorry that it is now minus it's tail though. Seems the cooler nights are bringing the predators out in full force. Never had two in one night like that before! Hooray for my old german shepherd!

idunno.gif
Even so bad that it fills up the whole yard and comes in the house through the closed windows enough to make you sick? I've had lots of foxes before and never had them smell like that and the tail itself doesn't smell skunky.

Last edited:
Bravo for the German Shepherd. Our shepherd Rex also does guard duty and keeps everything away. I wonder what the rest of the fox looks like. I would think being attacked by a shepherd and having your tail bitten off would cause just about anything to secrete an odor or mess itself.
smile.png
Check your dog over carefully for any bites that might need to be treated. Those double thick coats can hide a lot. Might also check with vet, especially if you find any bites, about whether or not foxes carry rabies or any other communicable diseases that need to be treated or watched for. I can't imagine the fox gave up it's tail willingly. (Now that sounds funny in a double meaning sort of way doesn't it?)

Also meant to say maybe there was a skunk in the yard and the fox was after the skunk just before your dog got after the fox.

Yes I thought the same thing that the skunk was being hunted by the fox in the first place. I checked my shepherd over very well and he did start to smell when he got wet from the rain this afternoon. Time for the groomer's I guess. He's up on his shots too thank goodness. He's an old police dog so chasing things is his specialty! For having it's tail ripped off at the base amazingly not a single drop of blood anywhere or fur anyplace else.

Back
Top Bottom