Very Wierd Egg. Pics included

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patman75, Nov 17, 2009.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed my Buff O (named Claire by my 4 year old daughter) was not laying eggs about a week ago and I noticed a soft shell egg sticking out of her vent. I was able to gently pull it out. Having dealt with soft shell eggs before I started supplementing the entire flock with bowls of crumbles, grit, oystershells and yogurt or milk.

Yesterday I saw that Claire was trying to lay an egg yesterday for a few hours. She was making quite a bit of noise with her egg song but still no egg.

So this morning I grab her and take her inside to let her warm up and later in the day I would give her the humidity treatment to help her pass whatever.

I came back this afternoon and found this in the cage. It is medium size egg. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was nothing interesting on the inside.
    [​IMG]

Upon closer examination of the cage there is evidence of another egg on the floor, yolk and egg white but no shell. Could she had been backed up with 2 eggs? I wonder what came first? No shell or the mountain range shell?

For now Claire will stay inside until I get another egg. I wonder what I will get next.

2. nutmeg1980

nutmeg1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Woah - it looks like a piece of modern art. I hope your hen is OK!

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    looks like its got a bunch of warts or hives lol hope shes okay and doesnt have anymore problems with eggs

4. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    It honestly looks like old poop (chunks) and pee (white part) that got stuck to an egg and molded to it. Not really sure but that's what I'm seeing!

5. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow. Different indeed.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wow. [​IMG]

7. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Quote:I don't think it's possible for excrement to get stuck on an egg since they are entirely different tracks only exiting at the same vent- but I may be wrong- anyone??? It looks more like the egg got stuck and kept getting extra "shell" cells attached to it- again- anyone??? Very interesting looking at any rate- I hope she works it all out okay.

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Gross!

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Maybe it was in there so long it got too hot. Looks like burnt pottery.

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:ROFL!!! What an accurate description!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by