very worried about my broody Silkie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Sep 13, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a Silkie that went broody and has been sat on two eggs since Sept 1st. She'd come off the eggs in the mornings for about 20 minutes but the rooster would not leave her alone to eat, drink or have her dust bath so I moved her into my home in a dog crate with a cat box attached for her new nest box. She's been sat on her eggs ever since but has not been out of her nest box in three days now?? I put food and water in her nest box right in front of her but she doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I am worried sick that she is going to starve and dehydrate! Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated

2. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    let her be. They eat and drink you just may not see it. Chickens have been doing this forever without our intervention and have still managed to succeed. I, personally would isolate the offender, the roo, and let your hen do what she wants to do, outside, where she is supposed to be.

Good luck

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Is she pooping every day? If she isn't, then if she was mine, I'd take her off the nest for a few minutes each day. Then she can poop, eat and drink for a bit. After that, you can put her back on the nest.

4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Nope....she hasn't pooped for 3 days! That's what has me so worried about her. Thanks for the advice and ifo guys, you are truly appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by