Very worried my egg has two embryos but only one yolk?

Mirana

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2019
Hi there, thanks very much for reading! If you could help me I would be very grateful! I'll try to be brief:

(Very quickly summed up: Does this egg have 2 embryos? Thank you!)

I have been feeding/looking after some geese since September (3 Canada geese, 7 domestic geese) at a pond near my house. I assume the domestics were dumped there. A wildlife rehabilitator told me they wouldn't be able to find food during winter, so I go almost every day to feed them.

One of the domestics laid an egg right in front of me near the street, and abandoned it. I couldn't bring it back to where they sleep (private property), so after much research I decided to incubate it, because it didn't feel right to me to let it die. I have done hours and hours of research, but I still have absolutely no experience incubating eggs

We're on Day 10 today, and I thought it was going well, and I admit I am pretty clueless but to me it looks like there are 2 embryos. For some reason YouTube made the video really dark, sorry I know it's hard to see but in particular please look at about 20 seconds - Is that a second embryo or do I just have no idea what I am looking at? From all the videos I've seen, when there are two embryos, they have distinct yolks. If that is a second embryo I think it is in the same yolk, but is that even possible? I also read that most of the time when there are two embryos, at least one of them dies, but often both. Is that true?

Here is the link to the video:

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to upload it here!

Thanks so very much for any help. Very worried about this little egg!

Last edited:
I don't know much about incubating eggs, but you've gone too far to give up now. I would keep incubating it, as it looks like it's still doing well. :D

Thanks for the response! Glad to hear you think it's doing well, I thought so too... I'm thinking maybe, since they are kind of curled up like a shrimp right now (I think?) the two dots might be his head and his butt, rather than two embryos? Hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom