VERY WORRIED, will it spread?

Colbeck1megane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Oundle
:(In June our chicken stopped laying. Now in October she is huddled up, lathargic, for the last 2 nights she hasn't been able to get in coop. This morning she won't eat or drink. She is very unsteady on her feet. I've mite powdered her, wormed her, given her poultry spice in mash (which she wouldn'e eat), she has had keep well pellets. Honey and water to try and boost her up (this was suggested to me). What could it be? I've tried to match symptoms but failed. Could she just be an old chicken? (apparently when we got her in may she was twenty weeks old but we don't think thats right as she stopped laying and went through her the moult in July)

Whats her poop look like???
Any visible injury?
Any of the other birds sick???

First put her somehere away from the other chickens.
Check her vent and see if there is any drainage or odor
Has the birds been wormed?
Are you giving her any vitamins??

She is the only one who is sick, the others are perfect! Her poop is watery, yellow, greyish, black. No visable injuries. But her feathers are no longer silky, very rough on head. She has a very small comb which seems greyish pink.

There was a post on an earlier forum about being egg bound, the goal is to wash your hands thoroughly, medical type gloves are helpful, mineral oil to help lubricate and then check her vent. There is a post recently by someone that described the technique quite thoroughly. Search the posts.
Good Luck!! Keep us posted

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to this but we sometimes have a chicken like this. We try to help it with hydrating treatments etc but often there is nothing you can do. We generally try for about 1 week but then we cull if it does not respond. I have one now that is not eating as much as usual and is keeping herself away from the others. She seems to be rallying now but I will keep an eye on her for a few more days.
Good luck with yours.

How is her weight? What is poultry spice? Is she eating at all?

I think you need to separate her out and bring her inside where you can keep a closer eye on her and her individual behavior and symptoms.

There is a sticky at the beginning of this forum with a number of questions to help narrow down a diagnosis. Answer those questions; they may help us figure it out.

She in now in our bathroom in an open fronted box covered with hay. She will drink a litle if you hold water up to her mouth. She will also eat 1 mixed grain or a tiny bit of grape or strawberry but will not touch layers pellets. We gave her a warm bath and rubbed her abdomon as suggested and she seemed to enjoy drinking her bath water. She still looks awful and is huddled up but at least she is warm. Thanks for advice, really appreciate it. (poultry spice is a mix of vitamins and minerals you add to mash)

Back
Top Bottom