Very wrinkled...WHY!???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justusnak, Apr 16, 2009.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have one Barred Rock hen that a few weeks ago, started haveing a few wrinkles in her eggs. Today...I got this!
    [​IMG]
    Whats going on!? She is not sick...they have oyster shell, and sometimes egg shells...good Purina Layena feed...plenty water, and a clean house and dry run. Im stumped!

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I just checked my Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and:

"it's possible that her ovary released two yolks within a few hours of each other, causing them to move through the oviduct close together. The second egg will have a thin, wrinkled shell that's flat toward the pointed end. If it bumps against the furst egg, the shell may crack and mend back together before the egg is laid, causing a wrinkle."

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    wow, thats really strange....

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmm, Dawn....I dunno. She has had wrinkles in her eggs for the last week or so, and its getting worse every egg! Now, they are beginning molt...maybe thats it? She is under a year old...so I dont think its her age. Just wierd..and gross feeling! LOL

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I'm not sure either, Deb. So much for "going by the book", huh. [​IMG]

But after you listing her age, a few of our younger girls had somewhat wrinkled eggs at around the same age. Haven't seen any like them since they've gotten older (will be 2 in mid-May).

Is that shell soft, like the picture makes it look?

Dawn

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Dawn, yes, the shell is thin. Maybe thats all it is, molting, spring, a combination of things!?? Im just scared she might be sick,,somehow. Guess I just have to keep an eye on her...for now.

7. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Our RSL laid a somewhat wrinkled looking double yolker last week. She's also young, and still not completely regular in her laying. Every once in awhile she also will produce a somewhat misshapen egg. I think it's a young chicken thing, probably. Are all her wrinkly eggs also pretty big? And do you think she's achieved her full grown size? I think maybe pullets might wrinkle their big eggs on occasion, just due to the geometry of running that big egg through their smaller oviduct.

8. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have one hen that gives me the wrinkle ones every once in a while....I have always wondered why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by