Very young brahma setting eggs - Update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frizzledhen, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Brahma Mama is doing just fine. She gets off the nest in the late afternoon and it is so funny to watch her. She fluffs up all her feathers, eats, drinks, POOPS. and mingles with all the other hens. She acts very proud of herself, showing off to the other girls. Only 15 more days! Some how she managed to get 2 more eggs. Could she have laid them herself? I originally gave her the days eggs the day she decided to stay on the nest which made 7 total. She now has 9. It will be just my luck that they all hatch, now that I have finally got my 97 chickens down to a managable 46. I hope I don't jinks myself but, I am starting a serious countdown now.
    Gayle
    Chi lady in Michigan

My bantam light brahma started laying at 20 weeks. She is now almost 22 weeks and has been setting 7 eggs for 4 days. She seems kinda young to go broody. Is this normal to go broody so soon after just starting to lay? So far she seems intent on staying with her eggs. It probably wouldn't surprise me if she gave up before they hatch but I am hoping she sticks it out. Any one else have a chicken so young go broody and did she set the full 21 days?
    Gayle

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's certainly possible. My Buff Orp went broody after about a month of laying her first egg. I didn't have a rooster so I tried to break her up over and over, but she sat on air for the full three weeks and almost killed herself.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  3. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    WOW, She was determind. I have seen my hen get off the nest only once. Should I be taking her off once a day to eat and drink? I would hate to loose her. She gets really upset when I try to feed her while she is on the nest so I have just let her be. If she is still setting after 2 weeks, I plan on moving her to a broody pen. Is this a good time or should I wait longer or should I do it sooner? The other hens don't seem to bother her but her rooman often sets up there and talks to her.
    Gayle

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Either take her off the nest so she eats and drinks or put water and food right next to her. Some of them are so determined that they will starve themselves to death. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Carri is correct. My Buff Orp, by day 20 or so, was having trouble standing when we'd remove her from the nest. Her head started turning upward like she couldn't control her neck and she was twitching. We immediately, on advice from knowledgable people here, Wes and Jody, started syringing water with vitamins down her throat along with a Vitamin E capsule sqeezed into her once a day. She did snap out of it and on her second broody period this year, hatched out chicks and was a perfect mother.
    The first time, they sometimes seem to go overboard-confused, not knowing what's happening to them, etc.

6. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Thank you Speckledhen and Carri. I will take very good care of my girl now that I know what to do.
    Gayle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by