Very young chick too curious/aggressive.

wayward

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
We picked up a small batch of bantams today and brought them home and set them up nice and cozy in their brooder. After a few hours we began noticing one if the Cochin chicks curiously biting other chicks on the beak and legs.

She's very small, appears only a week old or so. One of her siblings is now sporting quite a bloody scratch on the top of her beak, which has only made the little biter more interested. Right before writing this out, she had a solid death grip on another sibling's toe and had to be shaken loose.

Is there anything I can do to quell this behavior, or will I just need to seperate her? We picked up two regular sized chicks, an Orpington and R.I. Red, that she doesnt peck at or bite. Should I perhaps put her in a brooder with the two of them and give the rest of the bantams some peace together?

The first day I brought mine home they did that. They are establishing "pecking order", give em some time and they will be fine. Mine no longer fight. Little chick toes may look like worms to other chicks. When I pick them up some try to latch on!

The first day I brought mine home they did that. They are establishing "pecking order", give em some time and they will be fine. Mine no longer fight. Little chick toes may look like worms to other chicks. When I pick them up some try to latch on!

Chicks this young shouldn't be drawing blood establishing a pecking order. She's been isolated, just to be safe. She can still see and peep at her siblings without being able to physically interact with them. Thanks for the response.

Mine did. They will eventually stop. They will establish pecking order when you put "new" chicks in. When you put that chick back in, he will be picked on to re-establish.

Mine did. They will eventually stop. They will establish pecking order when you put "new" chicks in. When you put that chick back in, he will be picked on to re-establish.

They won't get picked on on re-introduction, no one else is even engaging in pecking order behavior, and I said, they can all see and hear eachother. The only thing they can't do is physically touch eachother. The chick getting bit is bleeding in various places on her face, which is causing the aggressive chick to become even more adamant in biting her face. This can lead to cannibalism/death if not treated.

The only reason I asked on BYC first before taking action was to see if there was a quick fix. "Wait is out" isn't a fix. Thanks, anyway, but I've got it under control at this point.

Back
Top Bottom