very young chick with impacted crop-- a little advice please!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Momma_Cluck, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Poor thing-- only 1 week old- and her crop is definately impacted for at least a day... huge, pretty firm, yet she isn't in distress YET...

The only thing they've been fed is chick starter .. but we were told they didn't need grit with it!
    I AM now adding a sprinkle of grit so no one else has this problem... but it COULD be she ate wood shavings....

we administered a bit of olive oil and tried massaging the crop-- but how hard to we "knead" it? What direction? I'm so afraid of crushing her throat...

and being she's this tiny (hatched exactly 1 week ago) was hard just to get a dropper small enough, and get it in her mouth! How MUCh olive oil should I be giving?

[​IMG]

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It sounds like you're doing all that you can. A couple drops of oil should be enough. One of my girls had this problem. I think she was eating the bedding. I just massaged it downward and it didn't take long for it to empty. Make sure she has fluids in her. Beyond that, I don't know of anything you can do (save surgery). Maybe someone else will see this.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaaawwwww poor baby. I just went through a day or so of this with my little splash cochin, she was 5 weeks old and it looked like a golfball. I gave her some olive oil and gently massaged her crop for about 30 minutes and then let her have water and repeated it...that night she was fine. [​IMG]

Good luck with the baby.

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Thanks all!
    Yep-- a little olive oil, massage and TLC and she is doing dandy-- but is now spoild rotten!

She comes running to me any time I go to their box, and tries to drink out of my fingernail (I'ts how I gave her the oil!) It's hilarious- cuz now several of the others come running to see what special treat she's getting-- when it's just a few drops of water! But they don't care! Tghey take turns drinking their Electrolites from my nail as if its a special treat! LOL!

Yay! A Happy ending!!!

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    How scary for you! Way to go! Wonderful! Yeah!
    [​IMG] Glad she is better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by