Keeskay

Hatching
Feb 12, 2018
Hey guys, the hen is about two months old, still doesn't look fully grown but has all its feathers. It was attacked by an unknown animal and it has been about two weeks since that happened and her bone is not connected to the bottom part of the wing so she can't fly. Luckily, it's freezing half the time so the skin was able to heal enough to not leave gaps for any damn flies and maggots for when the heat comes. But I'm still worried since about an inch or so of the wing bone is completely exposed. I'm mostly afraid of the bone rotting and the infection goes into her body. Right now it seems fine though. What should I do?

Your window may have already closed to splint the compound fracture. But here's a pdf manual with diagrams on how to splint fractured wings. Go to page 12.https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I would euthanize her as LG suggests. You're just going to cause her immense pain trying to set the wing now that it's already begun to knit itself in the fractured position. Sadly, the time to have done something was two weeks ago.

Last edited:
That bone is “dead”. If you are able to remove that bone at the joint quickly, cleanly and not leave any jagged bone bits under her skin do it. Otherwise she will die slowly from infections. The vet has a way to raster the live bone so it isn’t sharp. Then close the skin. It’s a very tough position you are in. If I were you I’d surrender the bird to a wildlife or emergency place and say you found it and if they ask if it’s yours lie and say no. Lying is bad but this lie will save its life. This way the bird has a chance and gets the care it desperately needs.

Hey guys, the hen is about two months old, still doesn't look fully grown but has all its feathers. It was attacked by an unknown animal and it has been about two weeks since that happened and her bone is not connected to the bottom part of the wing so she can't fly. Luckily, it's freezing half the time so the skin was able to heal enough to not leave gaps for any damn flies and maggots for when the heat comes. But I'm still worried since about an inch or so of the wing bone is completely exposed. I'm mostly afraid of the bone rotting and the infection goes into her body. Right now it seems fine though. What should I do?
How is your bird doing now?

Back
Top Bottom