1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vet amputating toe tomorrow. Advice on recovery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lengel, Mar 14, 2013.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    The toe started out deformed and has pretty much turned into a pretzel. She is thirteen weeks old and we were about to put her group outside in their own coop but she is walking on the tip of a bone which is still covered in skin but it will split soon. So the vet is going to amputate it completely tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on her recovery. Will she be able to roost afterward? How long will she need to be kept separate from the other birds?

Thanks.

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    As long as it dosen't get infected it will heal quite quickly. Separate her in the coop with the others, if you have to separate her, tho you shouldn't have to for more than a day or so.

One less toe should not affect her ability to roost..she'll be better than ever without a floppy toe!

3. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Great. Thank you very much!

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    You're welcome! Please keep us posted and post some pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by