Vet gives Brutus 50/50 chance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bunnibird55, Mar 21, 2013.

1. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My number 1 Buckeye Breeder Rooster, Brutus, got into a fight with number 2 Buckeye Roo, Tressel, several weeks ago and I didn't realize that his feet really got messed up. A week ago Brutus started coming up to the garage and just resting there during the day. I was busy and still didn't think a lot about it. Then by Sunday he was barely able to walk. I really looked at his feet and his feet were terribly swollen right under the spurs. I thought bumblefoot and brought him into the backroom of the house, washed his feet, disinfected with peroxide, put on Bag Balm and started giving him Tylan 200. By yesterday morning I knew it wasn't working and called my Avian vet Dr. Orosz who is a 90 minute drive away for me. She was able to get him in and the poor little guy now has boots on both feet, has Amoxil 259 mg 4 pills a day, Tramadol twice a day,Rimadyl 25 mg twice a day and DMSO gel. She said he is a sick boy and we will know by this weekend if he can fight off the infection. He is eating really well after getting the pain meds and he is standing on one foot this morning crowing! I feel real guilty I didn't catch it sooner, but glad I got him to vet - yes it was more money than I could really spend right now, but he deserves a chance. He will stay in the back room of my house until/if I can get him healed. Poor little guy - please send him some healing thoughts...... I sure want him to feel better......

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It will be the meds that heal him. It sounds like the meds are working doesnt it....

3. bunnibird55

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    He is eating well and trying to use his worst foot a little bit for balance. I have to unwrap his feet and soak them and put medicine on them tonight and I can see if the swelling is going down. He acts so happy otherwise! A couple of his hens came up to the house today and he could hear them and he crowed and crowed at them. They were trying to see where he is, but I do not need to bring any more chickies into my back room!

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

You are one dedicated little camper. Sounds like you bought out the vets supply of meds. If he gets enough in him he will be too stoned to remember the feet...lol I hope the fella does well. You may want to trim down the spurs on the other rooster. They are quite the weapons. I walk around every day with a reminder from my barred rock Rooster.

I call him Lucifer and I can never catch him to cut those spurs down. Hard part is I like him and he is awesome keeping dogs away from the free ranging birds... Best of luck... Steve

5. bunnibird55

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. I sure am giving it a good try. He actually is feeling so much better he tried to perch on the child gate I have to keep him contained. Silly rooster - both feet wrapped into big globs of gauze and vet wrap and he jumps on top of the gate! I put blankets and towels around the bottom of it so if/when he would fall off it would be a soft landing! I decided I need to have a helper the next time I wrap his feet though - have you ever tried to hold a squirming rooster by yourself and wrap up his feet?! He is getting a bit more feisty when I stuff all the pills down his throat.....don't blame him a bit! Yep, I cut spurs off after this last episode. They had gotten sharp this winter and I kept saying I was going to trim when it warmed up - haha - warm up in NW Ohio? Not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by