Vet Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tabsmonsters, Jan 9, 2009.

1. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    I have done more research on bringing our dog to Japan with us and kinda hit a snag. They are VERY picky regarding rabies. I have to get Maggie microchipped and a rabies vacc. today. Then in 30 days another rabies vacc and an FAVN test. In order to avoid quarantine in Japan, there must be 210 days between the 2nd shot and arrival in Japan. That 210 days doesnt start until the 2nd shot is given and we don't have that much time!

I had thought to see if the vet could back date the paperwork to give us a 30 day grace period of sorts so our time doesn't run out. I am not sure how that is going to be received. I am just not sure if this could hurt the vet in any way or us. I am not doing it to back out of giving her the shots, she is getting them, but I just need more time! Please don't bash me, I need some honest answers and other points of view.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I think if you can get your vet to do it, then you should.

Why are you getting TWO rabies vacc?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would hope that no one will bash you for wanting your dog with you when you moved halfway around the world.... I would also hope that a vet will see things from your point of voew, but then again I can't even get the danged produce manager at the store to give me his old veggies!!!!

Good luck, hon!!! I hope it works out.

4. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    It shouldn't be an issue I have known many vets to do this without repercussion, That doesnt mean that yours will agree to and you could run into a overly nosey worker while traveling with your dog. Just make sure you have everything you need and then some for the trip.

5. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Quote:There has to be a record of two shots AFTER microchipping. She isn't microchipped, I didn't really see the need for it here in the country.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    A military wife gots to do what a military wife gots to do.

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    That seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. I wonder why they make it like that?

8. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Quote:LOL!! That was my thinking! My dh asked "how much is this going to cost?" I replied, "Don't know, don't care." That is why we have a credit card for emergencies!

Once I get through this hurdle, I have to deal with the heat restriction. Its May through Sept and we leave between that. I am going to go bonkers [​IMG]

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:i guess to avoid getting rabies onto the island? Friend of mine had to give his ball pythons up moving to Hawaii.

10. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Quote:I think its because they dont have rabies there, but we do here and they arent taking a chance of it being introduced to the country. I KNOW she doesn't have rabies. Oh well, I will do everything in my power to get her over there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by