1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Has anyone used this for their poultry? My chicks are sneezing and coughing...it seems like they cant breathe and make a throwing up motion to catch their breath.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

VetRx is like Vicks VapoRub for chickens. It will do nothing to fix the problem, just maybe help them breathe better. They'll need an antibiotic, if it's bacterial and you believe in treating respiratory infections in birds. Chickens do not get colds, per se, they get infectious coryza, infectious bronchitis, etc., all much more serious.
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/ib.htm
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/laryng.htm
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm

How old are they? Where did you get them? Have they been exposed to other birds?

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  3. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    speckledhen,

Both my chicks and baby turkeys get thisevery year it seems. The baby turkey just died today and he was around 3 weeks old. Sasha my bantam is hatched on April 8 and has it. (We hatched Sasha in the incubator and a mother chicken hatched out the turkey)

We decided to finally put our Ideal chicks out during the day and now my one buff orphington pullet is starting to gasp for air.

should I separate these immediatley because they have been exposed to my entire flock.

I thought it might be infectious coryza but they dont really have a unmistakable odor.

Thanks,
    Hannah

4. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    does anyone else know about this?? I dont want Sasha to die!!!

5. speckledhen

If they get this every year, seems it could be something that your flock is a carrier of and the new ones just begin showing symptoms when they are exposed to the others, providing there is no environmental cause such as an allergic reaction to something. It's really hard to diagnose something like that over the internet.

6. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    okay, thanks speckled hen.. would you suggest taking them to the vet to get antibiotics to treat the whole flock?

7. speckledhen

My personal choice is that I do not treat respiratory illness. If you can afford a vet and know one that treats poultry, you certainly could, if you wanted to. I may not be the best person to ask about this. Hopefully, someone else can put in their two cents to help you with this one.

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    this might also be environmentally related or nutritionally related (from the winter period) or a combination of the two ...
    Do you use a deep litter system?
    Do you use straw or hay as bedding int he winter?
    Do you give a supplement in the winter period?
    you mentioned chicks...> do you allow the newly hatched to remain in the coop (remaining with mother) or do you bator hatch?
    Do you use medicated starter?

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  9. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:We use hay for bedding in the winter and put sevin dust underneath for prevention of mites. We let our chicken freerange, and feed them cracked corn mixed medicated feed. We sometimes bator hatch, (sasha is bator hatched
    and the buff orp is from ideal,) we usually let our hens hatch the chicks. We use medicated chick starter for them

10. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If it were me, and I just went though this exact thing in one of my coops, I would use tylan 50 injectable. If you are unsure of injecting, I would use gallimycin water soluble. They are both for respiratory illnesses and work great. Tylan 50 is the quickest. Inject in the breast area(in different areas each day) just under the skin for 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by