Vet said my hen is underweight... How to put weight on her?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ZaneyMama, Dec 28, 2010.

1. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    What should I feed a laying hen to put weight on her? She's also recovering from some sort of injury to her leg, so I have her isolated.

Thanks!

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    More protein.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    How did the vet determine she was underweight?

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    black oil sunflower seed (BOSS), cracked corn especially if you are keeping her in the house for some time (cuts down on the smell), cooked eggs and yogurt are also good to help maintain their gut flora. also make sure she gets her vitamins!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I would like to know also..

Chris

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If she's been injured and had trouble getting to food, just providing food that's easy to get to helps a great deal. I would make sure that both her food and water are within easy reach. After that, baby her as much as you think she needs. [​IMG]

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I put weight on mine by giving her scratch in a bowl mixed with dried mealworms and sunflower seed hearts with grit sprinkled on top twice a day in addition to her layer feed.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  8. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    What kind of weight are you aiming for?

Overall body mass health: good quality RAW meats, fats, and veggies. More variety of all three the better.

Fast energy and increased fatty tissue: carbohydrates, in particular grains, a variety is best.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yup. I was going to disagree with the corn and scratch, but this says it all.

If she's just underweight because she's been injured and not feeling well, she probably just needs easy access to good feed. Some supplement probably won't hurt, though. If all your chickens are underweight, then its time to evaluate feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by