Vet said my hen is underweight... How to put weight on her?

black oil sunflower seed (BOSS), cracked corn especially if you are keeping her in the house for some time (cuts down on the smell), cooked eggs and yogurt are also good to help maintain their gut flora. also make sure she gets her vitamins!

If she's been injured and had trouble getting to food, just providing food that's easy to get to helps a great deal. I would make sure that both her food and water are within easy reach. After that, baby her as much as you think she needs.
wink.png

I put weight on mine by giving her scratch in a bowl mixed with dried mealworms and sunflower seed hearts with grit sprinkled on top twice a day in addition to her layer feed.

Last edited:
What kind of weight are you aiming for?

Overall body mass health: good quality RAW meats, fats, and veggies. More variety of all three the better.

Fast energy and increased fatty tissue: carbohydrates, in particular grains, a variety is best.

Quote:
Yup. I was going to disagree with the corn and scratch, but this says it all.

If she's just underweight because she's been injured and not feeling well, she probably just needs easy access to good feed. Some supplement probably won't hurt, though. If all your chickens are underweight, then its time to evaluate feed.

Back
Top Bottom