Vet thinks my Silky has a tumour!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PaulaMc, Feb 20, 2017.

1. PaulaMc

PaulaMc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2016
    Bolton, England
    Hi all

I feel so bad as have been treating my standard silky (Jackie), for two days with Epsom salt baths and massage etc, thinking she was egg bound. However, when I took her to the vet, he said he thinks it could be a tumour!
    Have left her overnight as she is having an ultrasound scan tomorrow.

Has anyone else had experience of hens with tumours? He felt in her vent so am assuming it's somewhere in her ovi-duct. I have not had her from being a chick but think she is about two and half.

Any words of wisdom or prayers for Jackie really welcome. Thanks x

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear she is not doing well[​IMG]

I am glad that you have a vet that is able to help.

Hens can have cancer, tumors or reproductive/internal laying disorders. So hopefully with the testing your vet will be able to determine what she has.

Please keep us posted.

3. PaulaMc

Oct 29, 2016
    Bolton, England
    Thanks so much-will do[​IMG]

4. PaulaMc

Oct 29, 2016
    Bolton, England
    Yeah!!! Good news. Ultrasound didn't show a tumour just a bit of a blockage. Jackie is snuggled in cat box in front room now with me. She has had antibiotic injection and need to give her more for a few more days. She seems a lot perkier.has pooped a teeny bit so am happy.

Will keep you posted. xx

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear this[​IMG]

Did they specify where the blockage was located - (oviduct or intestines)?

I do hope she starts to recover and feel better soon!

6. PaulaMc

Oct 29, 2016
    Bolton, England
    Hi WR

Now I have calmed down and spoken to the vet again - I zoned out after he said it wasn't a tumour- It'S an infection -treatable by antibiotics.

She is living in my bedroom for the next few days so I can ensure she gets her medication. Although I brought her two miniature mates in today to keep her company and to protect them from the storm. They were being blown around. Three more days of antibiotics and she go back to the coop.

Thanks for your concern. x

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, sometimes we have to go back over what we've been told. When I was very ill, I had my Doc email his "analysis" after each visit so I could mull it over. He was very good that way.

Having buddies visit the sick/injured is a great idea - I think it lifts their spirits. Hope your storm passes no problems[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by