Vet treatment for sour crop/crop stasis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SimplySplendidSilkies, Nov 17, 2010.

1. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    With the hope of helping others I thought I would post how my avian vet treated sour crop! Early diagnosis will definitely help you when dealing with this. I caught Edward's within hours and was able to start treatment very quicky. Edward is a 1.6 lb Showgirl which you will need for proper dosing.
    The medicine for sour crop is:
    Metoclopramide 5 mg/5ml syrup give 2.5 ml every 6 to 8 hrs I would message this into the crop very gently (never turning him upside down, just took my 3 fingers and gently messaged the med in)
    Enrofloxacin Susp give 1 ml every 12 hours for 7-10 days this is the antibotic.
    Electrolytes in the water (I uesd watered down gatorade)
    Dr. Hoover also put him on a soft diet of Lefaber's mix (the crack in chicken world I guess) he went nuts and it gave him the extra boost of energy he needed. The Lefaber's mix has to be served warm every 2-3 hours mix 3 scoops with 10 ml water, it will look like a warm milk shake. (I added Probois to counter the antibiotics) I was fortunate enough to only have to force feed one time and am very thankful for that.
    Dr. Hoover also told me to keep him inside under a heat lamp which is where he still is recovering.
    I highly suggest adding all of these to your emergency kit. I know this is what saved my babies life.

When my Edward came down with this I didn't waste anytime in getting him treatment I have only ever lost one bird and it was to sour crop. I am thinkful to Dr. Hoover in Murfreesboro Tn and sugget him for all your veterinary needs if you are in this area. He treated my Chicken as a beloved pet. Which he is! I am very thankful to have him within an hours drive and will not hesitate to use him in the future.

I have just read so much contradicting information on the internet and didn't know how to treat him myself and Edward's life meant too much to me to risk it. I am very happy I sought a professional and so is my Edward.

I do hope this information helps save more lives.

1 person likes this.
  2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Great info! Thank you for providing it! I have one question....is it Lefaber's Mix for parrots? I was trying to search for these items online and this was what I came up with.

3. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Pam I am not sure my vet gave me a ziplock bag with instructions printed on it, and said to come back when I needed more. It would be nice if the pet stores had it though. I will look next time I go to Pet Smart. I will also ask Dr. Hoover if it can be bought outside the clinic. Sorry I wasn't more help. But I do think you are doing the right thing getting all of this now before you need it. Had I waited I am not sure Edward would still be alive. He is my Angel and I his!

4. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Well, I thought it might be good to have on hand. That would be great if you can find out if the parrot stuff would work, since I did see that available on line.

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    It would be nice if I can find the same item on pet store shelves but if not I dont mind buying directly from Dr. Hoover. My Edward means the world to me I only want the best for him! He has been through enough. He will get lots of cuddles and kisses when he is better. I only let myself hold him every other day unless I have to get him out for some other reason. He doesn't seem to mind but stress is hard on birds. I will try and check into the Lefaber's this week the vet is 45 mins away or I would have already been. I will let you know!

6. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    How did you know it was site crop?

7. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA

X2

8. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    I looked up metoclopramide and enrofloxain and they both require prescriptions.... I was hoping to get these items on hand too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by