Vet Update: Duck Mauled by Dog

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I got home today and we found one of my Muscovy girls standing, shivering & bloody at the coop gate. We found out pretty fast that She was attacked by a dog but my brother didn't know what to do with her or if he should touch her so he left her outside after the dog was taken care of.

She is almost completely featherless on her entire back, scrapes, bruises rips and holes are all over in her though. She's not bleeding at all but there's a LOT of damage....
- She has a large rip in her neck(i can see inside)
- there's a LARGE hole in her back and her intestinges are bulging out a little
- there's a smaller hole to the left of that one, also goes into the body cavity.
- most of the skin is missing around these holes and it's just fatty tissue exposed.

I'm at a loss really... I wanna do everything i can for her but her back is just the worst. I could have her neck stitched up but i know they'd just rip through the fat on her back.... and then there's the worry of internal infection.

I just need some input or ideas.

I washed her(avoided the holes), Neo'd and gauzed the large wounds and wrapped her neck with vetwrap & gauze to keep the neck wound closed. and finally i cute off a short sleeve and gave her a "protective body suit" to keep things clean and in place. She hung by the fire for a bit to warm up but she will be sleeping in the bedroom tonight. Even without any feathers I think she'll be more comfortable in a cooler room.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
to you and your duck Bleenie- thats sounds just so traumatic- her for the pain of her injuries- and for you to have to clean and dress her and nurse her back to health.

Just watch for signs of her going into shock- it may be better to keep her in a warmer place if she does show signs.

Making sure the wounds can drain also- to try and avoid a build up of infection under the skin.

I havent ever dealt with such extensive injuries- but I have read that they can survive the most horrific wounds at times.

Sounds like she is in very good hands though- and I am really hoping she pulls through for you .

I've had lots of injuries like this with the Muscovy. They're extremely hardy and your girl will most likely heal up just fine.

I keep a first aid kit for the ducks with some wound cleaning spray to clean out the dirt and disinfect the wounds, then I pat dry the skin and apply neosporin (I actually get "wound cream" at the feed store in a big tub). Then I seperate the bird for at least the first day so I can keep an eye on it and put some NutriDrench in it's water to give it a super-vitamin boost. When I put it back with the general population I apply Rooster Booster No-pick lotion to keep the other birds from pecking at the wound.

Every other day I put more neosporin on it and make sure it's clean.

Don't put bandages on it... especially vet wrap... it needs to breathe and the duck might get caught on something and strangle. ETA: I guess if the wound isn't closing the vet wrap might work... poor thing.

Good luck!

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this, sounds like your doing all you can, like df said make sure the wounds can drain and hopefully there are no rips in the intestines. Sure wish I could say more but I'm pulling for her and you as you minister to her.
fl.gif

She spent the night in a box on the bedroom floor, she was awake and still seemed comfortable this morning.

I pinched the vetwrap so it's holding loosely around her neck. I only covered the hole with a gaze pad with neo on it. and slid the sleeve over her body to hold it. So, nothing is really pressed into place because i did want drainage space, just in case. I am just freaked out about the hole where the intestine is visible and popping out a bit. I just know i can't sew up fat, it'll just tear through.

I am having to Make her drink, she wont do it on her own, so i am gently pushing her bill into the water so she'll swallow what gets into her mouth.

ETA: I am keeping the large hole covered so that i can keep the intestine moist, just hopefully it'll heal over it so i can stop touching it to apply lubricant... i know that has to feel horrid for her.

Last edited:
Quote:
She probably is in shock, do you have Nutri drench? maybe put some in her water. Also Vetericyn spray works miracles, and it will help with keeping things moist and help with healing and infection. I got it at TSC.

We are going to the Vet here shortly, He seemed pretty worried about the hole and we were thinking it may actually Not be the intestine. After thinking about it I think it might be her Kidney, because of the location.

UGH, I can't even physically talk about it. I just called my grandmother to let her know what he said and started bawling. Jenga is one of my favorite birds. I just hope he can fix her.

Last edited:
We just got back from the Vet and thankfully he thinks that the tissue will grow back in. He gave me some yellow ointment to put on it everyday to help speed up the process and keep infection out. He also thinks the large hole in her back will heal closed so her kidney or whatever it is will not be exposed anymore.

He decided not to stitch her neck because he couldn't put her out to do it(would have killed her) but he says that with the ointment it should scab over and make a good scar there, thankfully there was no damage to her internal neck.

I love my vet, he's owned Muscovies before and had to do surgery on some in the past.... I am so glad he thinks she's gonna be okay.

Here's Jenga after we got home, The tear in her neck is on the other side.
36754_gedc1668.jpg

Back
Top Bottom