Vet visit with cat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PitterPaws, Oct 19, 2011.

1. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Well today I took my kitty to the vet for her yearly check up and shots, and when they weighed her they said she gained 5 Pounds [​IMG]

She weighs 14.3 Pounds Now [​IMG]

I couldn't believe it!! I mean I knew she was getting chunky but 5 Pounds weight gain. Wow!! [​IMG]

Here is a photo of her, I guess there is just more of her to Love [​IMG]

Time for a diet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You have a beautiful cat.

Imp

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    She's not fat, she's fluffy!

At least, that's what my Radar cat maintains. He is also topping out around 14 pounds right now. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She's very pretty. [​IMG]

Did the vet give you a lecture on obesity in animals? We recently took our older GSD Jax to a different vet because we were concerned about him not being as heavy as we thought he should be. The vet said that Jax's weight was fine. He said he liked to see them a little thin vs. overweight. Then he looked at my baby, 105 lb. Kane. [​IMG]

5. PitterPaws

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Imp - Thank you!! She is a Beautiful Cat!! [​IMG] That is why I picked her! [​IMG]

Orchid - LOL I could just imagine her saying to the vet: "I'm Not Fat, I'm Big Boned!" [​IMG]

Gritsar - No Thank goodness! I just could not believe it when they said 14.3 lbs. I think I was in shock! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I just hope she doesn't gain 5 lbs every year! [​IMG] I'll be like [​IMG] and I'll be [​IMG] !!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She's beautifully marked. Careful of the weight gain. Wouldn't want her to become a diabetic.

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    She's beautiful! I feel your pain, two of my cats are officially fat, both weighing in at over 14lbs [​IMG] Unfortunately, I have a third cat who is underweight so I'm sort of limited in what I can do about it. Can't let the skinny cat get too skinny so me and my vet turn a bit of a blind eye to the fatties. I measure the feed, the skinny cat gets a heaping 1/4 cup twice a day and the fat cats get a scant 1/4 cup of a light diet twice a day. The good news is that they've both lost about 1/2 a pound since I changed their diet!

There are a few things my vet recommends to help with weight loss in cats. One is measuring the food instead of free feeding. Another is switching to a light or weight loss diet as these diets have about 20% fewer calories than regular adult cat food. If a regular light formula isn't working, there are also prescription weight loss formulas available that are even more calorie-restricted but most cats can loose weight on an OTC formula. Also, placing the food bowl up on top of a cat tree or downstairs so that the cat has to do a little exercise to get to it can help burn some calories. Dividing each meal between several bowls that are not right next to each other will accomplish the same thing too (even better if those bowls are on different levels so that kitty can't just mosey from one bowl to the next). If you don't have other cats or dogs to worry about, feeding them in an interactive toy that dispenses food as it is rolled around can help too. If you do move the bowl or decide to go with a treat dispensing type feeding solution you may have to train your cat how to use it as they may get frustrated and walk away from it at first.

8. PitterPaws

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thank you!! Yes I was just reading about that in my CatFancy mag that I just got today! So I guess it's time to diet!

9. PitterPaws

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    AinaWGSD - Thank you!! I too have three cats!

One is 17 years old and is Hyperthyroid and she is on Methimazole, I am trying to keep Her in a good weight, So I keep food down for her 24/7, Then I have a 9 year old who is just barely keeping weight on she is healthy but just doesn't care to much for the hard food, she holds out for the soft food which I feed twice a day in small portions. And then we have Charlie!! Who will eat what ever is put in front of her!
    She Should have been named Mikey because she eats everything, "I'm Not gonna try it, Hey! Let's get Mikey!" [​IMG]

The problem is since they all are in the same area and can not be separated, My Fat Cat Charlie will just steal food from the other cats bowls when she finishes hers!
    I am going to try picking up the food for an hour or two a day and see how that works. And I am going to give Charlie less food, and keep the other two the same.

It's so hard trying to get the weight down on one when you have two others that are thin!!

Oh Boy!! this is going to be fun! [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]
    My Fagin weighs in at a little over 15lbs. He actually isn't fat. He's just a big cat. Of course, compared to chunky I think the other two boys look emaciated. [​IMG] I always bring it up at the vet's and she just laughs at me. "No, no... they are perfect. They are NOT too skinny."

Yup. I'm a kitty enabler.

Your girl is gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by