BakuFarms

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
We have two hens with a vet wrap leg warmer/leg band to mark them after injuries earlier in the year. I like vet wrap for this because it's flexible and seems to do less damage to their legs compared to other bands I've used in the past.

Fast forward to winter and I've noticed one hen who has a leg wrapped prefers standing on the wrapped leg in the cold.

Now this might be a coincidence but I figured I'd check to see if anyone has ever used Vet Wrap or something similar to make a leg warmer to help the hens stay warmer in the cold (-26C today).

Obviously the usual don't let it get wet or wrap it too tight and cut circulation is something to keep in mind but when wrapped loose enough it just holds on it seems fine and their circulation is good. Just no idea if it actually helps keep them warmer.

I’m not sure how you’ll keep them dry.
The only thing I know for sure is it’s way easier to put vet wrap on than it is to take off.
Personally I would not put them through the stress.
I don’t know your setup but I would invest in a bail of straw not a roll of vetwrap.
Best wishes

upload_2019-1-21_11-21-30.jpeg

I would find another way to mark the chickens, such as a little spray dot of BluKote which I use on a hen I need to keep track of. Vet wrap has too many risks to use everyday without a good reason. They should be able to tolerate the cold without leg warmers, but I thought you might like the pic.

View attachment 1648548
I would find another way to mark the chickens, such as a little spray dot of BluKote which I use on a hen I need to keep track of. Vet wrap has too many risks to use everyday without a good reason. They should be able to tolerate the cold without leg warmers, but I thought you might like the pic.
Bwahaha haha!:lau

I’m not sure how you’ll keep them dry.
The only thing I know for sure is it’s way easier to put vet wrap on than it is to take off.
Personally I would not put them through the stress.
I don’t know your setup but I would invest in a bail of straw not a roll of vetwrap.
Best wishes

Fair enough.

We have 20 pet Barred Rocks, and they get handled a fair bit between snacks and toe checks and are admittedly spoiled.

I have a semi insulated wooden coop 8x8 and 4/7 foot peek with plenty of venting up high. Panel heaters near the roosts. Deep bedding in pine shavings the winter. Their yard is fully fenced about 20x20 with a few framed tarp wind breaks and they have access to this all year with an automatic door at night.

I've never had any issues getting vet wrap on or off the hens personally. I just use bull nose scissors and it comes off easier then it goes on. We always handle the birds with two people working on them so I have two hands to work with and DH holds them with some distraction snacks.

The only thing that got me thinking about it was BlueFoot (named after her post bumble vet wrap bootie) standing out there in -30 like it was no big deal and Bait standing beside her on her purple banded leg. Wondered if anyone else had done anything similar intentionally or otherwise.

Last edited:
Lol...glad the bull dog scissors work well for YOU.
:barnie I might need a new pair.
Sounds like your birds have a lovely setup. Sounds like they have a good coop to winter down in. I’m thinking they’ll be just fine. I’m Sooo ready for spring!

Back
Top Bottom