1. redbarn401

redbarn401 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    How many of you would take an injured or sick bird to a vet? I did, am I crazy??

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I would if I thought it would help. I have at least 2 avian vets close.
    I haven't yet, but did call to see if the closest one would see a chicken when, last summer, I thought I had a hen with bumblefoot.
    I did take a neighbors cat in to get treated for bad wounds to its face twice, and paid myself.

Imp- The bumblefoot turned out to be a geranium petal. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I am very fortunate to have a vet who grew up on a farm and has his own chickens to this day. I've only been once with a chicken and it was impossible to save the little rooster, so he put him down and told me it was a "professional courtesy".

I won't put our house payment at risk, but I am willing to at least investigate the possibilities of treatment. I love my birds, but they are not "my babieeeees", they are working pets. If I can do something without bankrupting us I will. Otherwise, I bury them with gratitude and respect.

ETA, no, you're not crazy!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I took my hen to a vet this past week-end for bumblefoot which I wasn't having any luck controlling myself. He is an avian vet and he was great. It was reassuring having a fecal float (no worms, YIPPEEE) and his expert advice. I'm glad I went.

5. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Each of my 3 ducks have their own files at my vet. Chickens just go under one name cuz I can't tell them apart.

6. redbarn401

redbarn401 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    Thank you! My heart said help the chicken so it's at the vets for treatment I can't give it. It's my 7 year old daughter's favorite bird and I love it too. Hang in there Paprika, we're praying for you.

7. ownerof7cats

ownerof7cats Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    When I had my ducks and they got sick I could not find one vet who would help them. Not sure if I could find one now to take care of the rooster/2 hens I have now but if I could find one I would take them. They are a breathing animal with feelings. You are not stupid. It shows you care.

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It all depends on finances, and what you are able to do, yourself.
    I had a very sick bird, and called an avian vet who is literally one block away. I would have had to wait a day, and the visit along with one x-ray would have been around $280. I decided to treat her as best I could. (She didn't like being handled all that well, and I was afraid she might die very quickly while having the x-ray done.) It just depends on what you are able to do, financially, and what the circumstances are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by