Vetericyn or neosporin? Pecked Broody

artsvarc

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Eastern Iowa, USA
Ugh, I have a broody again, noticed yesterday and decided to deal with it today. Since she is refusing to leave the nesting box that EVERYBODY uses, there were 3 in there the other day.... they have pecked her comb and I found her today with a bloody head. I have her separated in a crate in the coop. Works out well though so she can heal. So my question.... Spray with Vetericyn (antimicrobial utility gel) or use regular Neosporin? We've had a cold/ snow/ wind storm come in today in Iowa. Temps are close to freezing. I don't want to use something that might freeze.

Attachments

• 20210315_143709.jpg
    20210315_143709.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210315_143659.jpg
    20210315_143659.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Can you post some photos of the damage?
Combs bleed a lot, so she may only have a small cut. Just wipe off the blood. If not too bad, then personally I wouldn't put anything on it.

Can you post some photos of the damage?
Combs bleed a lot, so she may only have a small cut. Just wipe off the blood. If not too bad, then personally I wouldn't put anything on it.
I have added 2 photos in my post above. I'm hoping that 3 days of being in the crate to break broody will be enough to heal it up ok.

It doesn't look too bad. Since she's separated and you are expecting cold I'd not use anything on it either. Combs usually heal up pretty quickly, and well, since there is so much blood flow. Since you are going to break her, hopefully the cold temps will help with that.

I have added 2 photos in my post above. I'm hoping that 3 days of being in the crate to break broody will be enough to heal it up ok.
Thanks for the photos.
I agree, I wouldn't do anything for that even if the weather wasn't freezing. Minor wounds like that will heal quickly, especially with her in broody jail.

Back
Top Bottom