Veterinarian Care for Chickens in the Southern U. S.

thepick4uchicks

Songster
May 23, 2020
Mississippi
Do Any of you fellow poultry owners -especially small flock owners with backyard flocks have any luck finding Vets who will see chicks or chickens of any age or issue in the Southern United States? I live in Mississippi. I would hate to have to travel all the way to the Vet school to have a chicken checked out but would if it’s my only option but its costly. Can’t find willing Vets to see Chickens. I’m new to all this.
Thanks to all of you!
Pam

Oh I wanted to add that all my 9 girls are still fine now but I have been calling around my local area in preparation for a possible emergency with them growing older, summer setting in hotter, and with them going to be going out into the coop in a few months. I didn’t want to be clueless without a Vet to call. I am fearing I will be anyway and on my own and the VeT University at Mississippi State University is World renowned but an hour and thirty mins away and not sure if accessible to just anyone on weekends. I will have to find all this out. Wish me luck.
Have a great day in the coop and outside of it. We are having a Mississippi heat wave and the humidity is awesome to boot. God Bless us everyone. The weekend is going to be worse. Ugh!

Most of us do vet care at home. Just not enough vets familiar with poultry, plus biosecurity is often a concern. I actually do have one I can consult with, if needed, but she's out of state.
[/QUOTE
Thank you
[/you stated that “bio security was an issue” ... Did you just mean exposure of your chick or chickens to other diseases while at the Veterinarian’s office?

member: 167137"]
Does she sit in the nestbox all fluffed up and screeching when you try to reach for her?

If so she might be broody.

If not there could be something wrong with her like mites - she would look quite pale then.

Or a problem with her oviduct like an egg not passing or an infection going on. How does her rear end look like, is it clean or messy?

Or she might have a problem with her leg or feet i.e. bumble foot.
I see 7, too. Hopefully they're the same ones, lol

Back
Top Bottom