Viability of eggs to incubate??

MyParadiseFalls

Songster
Nov 22, 2022
Hello, I put six goose eggs in the incubator, all developing nicely (see pic’s attached) my question is…at this point I only have one goose out of 7 laying eggs every other day on average. I would like to collect another six eggs to put in the incubator together rather than start them separately over 12 days time (like I did with the previous six) How long will the eggs stay viable on the counter? Will they stay viable longer in the fridge?

Attachments

• C3057232-DAB3-407F-8FB4-C8AAFD38027F.jpeg
    C3057232-DAB3-407F-8FB4-C8AAFD38027F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 90115A93-7093-4A90-902F-2AD56D1C4CD1.jpeg
    90115A93-7093-4A90-902F-2AD56D1C4CD1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Hello, I put six goose eggs in the incubator, all developing nicely (see pic’s attached) my question is…at this point I only have one goose out of 7 laying eggs every other day on average. I would like to collect another six eggs to put in the incubator together rather than start them separately over 12 days time (like I did with the previous six) How long will the eggs stay viable on the counter? Will they stay viable longer in the fridge?
Answering from my experience on chicken eggs so take this with a grain of salt, please.

With chicken eggs they are less viable with the fridge, so i choose counter.

With chickens, eggs last 2 weeks on a counter, and every day after your hatch rate decreases.
I heard similar things with goose eggs

I hope this helps you at least a little!

I incubated a month or older chicken eggs that was in the fridge that hatched out. I had lost my 14 chicks to a fox previously. And my time schedule was ticking so I grabbed the eggs that I had on hand and hatched them. This was last year.

I never washed my eggs even if they sat on the counter or fridge.

The fridge is a good preserver, just keep the eggs in a sanitary place.

The counter also works as long as your house temperatures are 70f degree or lower.

This is from my experience and observations.

I incubated a month or older chicken eggs that was in the fridge that hatched out. I had lost my 14 chicks to a fox previously. And my time schedule was ticking so I grabbed the eggs that I had on hand and hatched them. This was last year.

I never washed my eggs even if they sat on the counter or fridge.

The fridge is a good preserver, just keep the eggs in a sanitary place.

The counter also works as long as your house temperatures are 70f degree or lower.

This is from my experience and observations.
Yep, don’t wash eggs before incubation. It removes the bloom and bacteria gets in
(I did that once and the eggs didn’t hatch)

Just saw your post. I ran into that situation last year. I bought a second nurture right 360 so I could do a staggered hatch and maximize the number of eggs. My geese were just under a year old last season, so initially I had no luck. Some of the eggs weren't fertile, many would look good until about 16 days, then they quit. I thought I was doing something wrong. I fiddled around with temperature and humidity. Finally late April, eggs started hatching.

If you have a cabinet incubator or a very good plan, you've probably already figured out what you will do. If not, and only have one basic incubator, things might get complicated when it's lockdown time and you need to raise humidity, stop turning, and keep the lid closed while the younger eggs still need turning.

Please let us know what you decided to do. This will be my second hatching season, so I'm still working out the details in advance.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom