Viable eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poupoule, Oct 22, 2009.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Hi all,

The situation: my hen has been sitting on a mix batch of eggs, 3 of hers and 8 of other hens that I introduced under her a couple of days after I noticed she was broody. 3 chicks hatched last monday, 2 days earlier than I expected, but not the other eggs (the ones I introduced). I estimated the hatching time to be of today. The hen is managing her time between looking after her chicks (soooooooo cute [​IMG]) and sitting on the eggs.

My questions: how do I know if those eggs are still viable, or even fertile (I have 2 roosters)? Is there a way I can check? How long should I leave the eggs for? Would the eggs suffer much if she does not sit on them all the time?
    This is my first time hatching eggs, so on the learning curve [​IMG]

2. Hi! You can candle the eggs to see if they are viable and growing.
    I'm surprised to hear she is trying to tend new chicks AND still trying to stay on her nest, that's unusual.

*Usually* when a hen walks off the nest with her chicks, she leaves the unhatched eggs behind without a thought (the newly hatched chicks are calling and need her attention--- find us food is their call).
    What is the time-frame between the first hatched and now?
    Good luck!
    Lisa

3. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    How do you candle the eggs?

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    The eggs were/are due to hatch today. So what should I expect to see? A fully develop chick?

6. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I've had hens try to do double duty. I just had one recently that hatched one chick and then would leave the nest with it after several days of the others not hatching. She'd go back to that nest and set on the rest of the eggs, still not giving up. Her little chick was going stir crazy though! I finally took the remaining eggs and put them under another broody. She hatched them and the first mom was able to tend to her one chick. I'm glad that hen only has one, she's not the greatest mom in the world, but the chick is doing well.

7. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    My hen abandoned the nest on the week end [​IMG] One chick was trying to hatch but got covered by straw and died. The other eggs showed different stages of development, so I think I must have put too many eggs under her. I'll do better next time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by