So my two ducks that I now know are both hens do this thing where there necks vibrate followed by their head then they lunge I don't know if this is an excitement thing or not? Does anyone else's ducks do this or know why they are doing this?
Mine do it all the time! I think it can mean a lot of things. They could be territorial or excited. It’s so funny!

Mine do it all the time! I think it can mean a lot of things. They could be territorial or excited. It’s so funny!
Yeah I thought that because sometimes they do it when they first see me on a morning yet sometimes if there sat on my lap and the dog comes over they do it to him as if to say go away she's mine!!

It's usually a positive thing like a greeting. Ducks communicate with each other often, if one's been away for 5 minutes, they all do a "there you are, nice to see you again!"-greeting when they get back.
My three pet ducks do the "neck shake" when I pet them, very cute!

I take it as excitement too. I have one who LOVES to snuggle. He gives me hugs with his neck on my shoulder pressed up against my neck and quivers while he hugs me. At first I thought it meant he was scared but when I moved away he pressed forward like he was trying to hug me again.

Back
Top Bottom