vibrations???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, May 22, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I rubbed one of my ducks chest and I can feel it vibrating. Like you would think she was scared. It would happen and then stop for a minute and start up again but all of a sudden it would quite for a longer period and then start all over again. My other duck is not doing this. Does anyone know what this is or what it could be and what to do about it? I am a little worried so PLEASE any info would be appreciated. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Is she one of your more dominant ducks? It may be the precursor to the "vibrating head-dive" thing they do when they're feeling sassy. I wouldn't worry too much.

3. vlapinta

vlapinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    I would be interested to see the answer to this question. Mine was vibrating the other day also.

Vicki

4. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Vibrating ducks! Lol.

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Usually the dominant duck with do that. It's nothing to worry about. They may start to wrap their head and neck around your arm while doing it too. Its a show of dominance. My drakes do it with me still from time to time.

Laurie

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My daughter and I love that head vibrating thing they do...And actually so much so that we now do it to each other - instead of saying hello... [​IMG]

Our Monty ( huge big Aylesbury) is the one who does it the most....If you hold out you hand to him...he will put his beak in your hand...the vibrating starts...and next thing you know - his head is up over your shoulder...

7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My duckling did that for a little bit while I was holding her, then she relaxed and it stopped... she cuddled up and went to sleep in my hand.

8. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    This makes a lot of sense but I got to thinking the one duck who I am almost positive is a boy kinda does that. This is not the one that vibrates. He will stick his bill in my hand and wiggle it around like he is looking for food and then he rubs up my arm and if I pick him up he wants to put his head over my shoulder or stand on top of my shoulder. Is this what ya'll are talking about?

The other duck that does vibrate I think is a girl cause she sure does quack a lot but she doesn't do this kind of behavior. When I realized it and put my hand to her chest she was just standing there. Does this mean that she is just getting the hang of it and will start soon? I assume females can be the more dominant duck over the male, yes?

I know if they get seperated she sure has near a heart attack trying to get to him. Just a flopping and quacking and he walks around frantically with his head high making small sounds.

Thanks you all for all your replies. Lots of my worries have eased. I would never had known that was what it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by