Vicious Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbruder17, Jan 17, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The silkie that I have sitting on a clutch has become increasingly vicious. She violently lashes out at my hand when I so much as place food in front of her. Is she going to continue to be so aggressive from now on? How do I make sure she doesn't pass this behavior on to her chicks (if any hatch)?

2. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:completely normal behavior for a broody

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No, that is just part of broody behavior. She'll go back to her normal personality.
    Maybe try putting on some leather gloves when you have to do anything within snapping range. As long as she's sitting on that clutch, she'll be like that.
    Don't worry, the behavior won't be passed to the chicks(unless you have some like mine are right not-they're just mean little devils).

4. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    This is all normal, she'll calm down once her chickies hatch. If she is too vicious for you to give her food and water and check for eggs that she might have added to the nest, get a 5-gallon pail lid or big feed scoop to smoosh her to the back of the nest so you can get the job you need to do done.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes normal for a broody.

6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So as long as she keeps sitting on those eggs, whatever I do to her, ie. Move her to check eggs, change bedding etc. Is only a bother to her but nothing serious?

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    The key is leather gloves!! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nah, the key to feeding her etc. is to use a 10 feet pole.

9. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Well, I'm glad her viciousness isn't because of anything I've done. She was never the sweetest chicken. That's why her name is Skeksies and her sister is Mystic. Dark Crystal reference for those who may now know...

10. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I should also say that Mystic has always been very sweet-natured...from 3 days old. And Skeksies has not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by