vicious chick-help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jransmith, Oct 27, 2008.

1. jransmith

jransmith Out Of The Brooder

I got 8 Ameraucana chicks (about a week and a half old) this weekend from a farm auction. One of the little darlings is not a darling. It pecks the other chicks very hard. Their little cheeps can be heard throughout the house. And it seems especially interested in backsides. Pecking two other chicks until they were bleeding. I separated it from the the rest. Can I expect it's behavior to get better? Is there anything else I can do?

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    One of ours was like that, a real bully. I separated it for a while from the others and then when I put it back in, it did better. This is probably not always the case, but it cant hurt to try.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Get it outta there. Try and integrate that one in a few weeks, but keep your eye on it. You may have to get rid of it.

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Do they have free choice chick starter/grower? I only ask because sometimes picking is the result of low protein.

~Rebecca

5. jransmith

jransmith Out Of The Brooder

Yes, they can eat as much as they want. So it's not a "I'm hungry issue." Upsets me greatly that something so cute can be so mean.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    You may want to try and give him something to occupy his time. Small dog or cat toys are good. It really does keep them busy.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Try putting a red light in there. For whatever reason, that sometimes calms the naughty ones down.
    If that doesn't work, take it out for a few days. The pecking order will re-establish and when you put it back, it will be on the bottom of the order. Hopefully that will give it an attitude adjustment!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If all else fails, put it down. Had a BAD Welsummer chick that did everything he can imaginable to peck all of his siblings. I finally had enough of it even a week of isolation I put him down. [​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I just put one down last night. He was about a six week old BC marans. He was already trying to jump his pullet siblings and I picked him up and pet him and I could swear he showed semen and arched his back! He was super dominant from the day he hatched. He was not big enough to eat, and I don't need a roo that agressive from day one. I didn't like to do it, but I did the deed and life is much easier today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by